Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

three problems; two with msiexec, one with USB drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SDragon1984

SDragon1984

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I recently did a repair install of XP Pro (SP3), and it's working, except for three issues:

First, I can't install anything that relies on msiexec (Windows Installer Service), and it gives me error 1719. ("Windows Installer service could not be accessed.") I've tried unregistering and re-registering msiexec.exe, to no avail. I've even tried reinstalling msiexec.exe, but it didn't help. This is the biggest issue, since it's preventing me from installing the drivers for my wireless card, and that's the only practical way for the machine to connect to the internet.

The second biggest issue is with my thumb drives; I have a pair of 4 gig thumb drives that, although they show up in Device Manager, they don't show up in My Computer. Interestingly enough, my 256 meg thumb drive does show up. All three drives are formatted to fat32, so that shouldn't be any issue.

Finally, a nuisance involving msiexec.exe; Despite the fact that I apparently can't access the service, if I right-click on an icon on the desktop or in an open folder, I get a Windows Installer message for a second before I'm given the right-click menu. After this, I can right-click on icons with no problem for about 2-3 minutes, and then it will give me the message again. This might be related to the first issue, but I can't tell. Everything I've found on this problem suggests the same solutions as the first one.

On top of what's already been mentioned, I've run multiple antivirus and antispyware programs, with no luck. With the exception of MBAM, all of these were run either from my 256 thumb drive, or from UBCD for Windows XP. Some of the antispyware did come up with some results, but fixing those didn't do anything for these particular problems. Most of the programs came up with nothing. I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Bump. Anyone?

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Check this out:
Windows Installer 4.5

HTH!

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, but I already tried that. That was part of reinstalling msiexec.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

Mr. Dragon, sorry I was unable to help. Have you considered posting here:
Am I infected? What do I do?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'm just curious...why did you attempt the repair install of XP?

What were the known problems...and what made you think that a repair install was the answer to same?

Louis

EDIT: I just looked at one of your previous topics...and you replaced the motherboard and tried to use the same hard drive with a different board. As Allan explained/suggested...the preferred solution in such cases is a clean install.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2011 - 06:03 PM.

#7 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Rose-- No worries. I do appreciate your effort. :)

Louis-- That link seems to be strongly advising a repair/upgrade install, which is what I did. I'm not sure why you're suggesting one thing, then providing a link to something else.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

A repair install...can never be anticipated to succeed in removing problems, IME.

It's merely an attempt...to try to minimize the fact that the user doesn't want to or cannot do a clean install.

This is clearly indicated by the author in the first paragraph: "Even under the best of circumstances the chances of booting a hard drive moved from another computer is a crap shoot..."

Generally speaking...a repair install should be tried before electing for a clean install...but the circumstances which a repair effort can overcome...are pretty much limited to situations revolving around corrupt/damaged system files, IMO.

For the record, XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

"My recommendation is to prepare for a clean install, but first try the upgrade option."

Louis

#9 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Is there any way to fix these issues without a clean install?

(i apologize for the belated response; computer issues, y'see :wink: :P )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users