Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Became De-Activated

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

For a long time my computer has experienced issues after a very cold boot. If I fail to use my computer every 3 days or so, I will encounter program errors, including Google Chrome "Oops!" windows, corrupted .bik files on video game loads resulting in video artifacts, and often bluescreens for several hours after the cold boot, attributed to "Memory Management". After the computer has been running for a few hours, this problem becomes less and less frequent. I reboot a few times and the system starts working normally again.

Since I use my computer very often, I only have this problem rarely, but it is quite predictable. I've been working under this system for 2 years now. This problem resolves itself, and has proved rather harmless, that is until recently. On my more recent cold boot this past Thursday June 30, I performed my 1-hour restart to find that my Windows 7 Professional was no longer genuine. Keep in mind that I've had a verified copy of Windows for about 18 months. The problem has not resolved itself after coming out of its cold-boot jitters, and I am further baffled by the fact that Microsoft does not offer chat or e-mail support for activations, but just an FAQ that doesn't come near to solving my problem. The worst part is, I got this key from my CS teacher who got a list of activation codes from Microsoft as a promo for the school. Both he and I erased the code after I activated Windows. What can I do?

Custom Build, all stock clocks
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
msi P55M-GD45
intel Core i5-750
4GB g.skill DDR3-1333
XFX GTS 250
WD Caviar Black 500GB
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IanGR

IanGR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Hi Ryan 3000,
I remember my system coming up with a activate windows now kinda of thing when it had been activated for ages, I just ran some malware scans rebooted a few time and it just seemed to go away. Not a lot of help that is it :blink: but I suppose it could be some sort of malware thing, somebody on here is bound to know..
Sorry no idea as to your cold boot problem.
However to find your lost key try magicjellybean. http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ or other key finder programs there's a few free ones out there..
Ian.. :thumbup2:

Edited by IanGR, 02 July 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

I was able to run MagicJellyBean and retrieve a CD Key, but I'm afraid it was not recognized as a valid key. The problem is also not resolving itself after a few reboots, unfortunately. Are there any other suggestions? I am rather doubtful that malware plays a part in this because I am running Norton 360 (flame away).

By the way, thanks for the suggestions Ian. :D

Edited by Ryan 3000, 02 July 2011 - 07:22 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 IanGR

IanGR

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:25 AM

Sorry about the magicjellybean thing it's worked for me with other cd keys as well as windows.. Still could you not try, or have you tried a Bios update, repair install or clean install. I know that leaves a problem with no key and you say no online or email help available,try the phone or even writing to MS. Only thinking here of what I might try and my only experience comes from the problems my PC's have thrown at me. Once you've wiped away the tears troubleshooting can be fun can't it.. :wacko:

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

>>> I got this key from my CS teacher who got a list of activation codes from Microsoft as a promo for the school. Both he and I erased the code after I activated Windows<<<

What does this mean? What code? Erased? Promo? Could you be more specific?

Lots of unanswered questions, and I'm surely less than an expert on the subject of "Windows not genuine" but then again who is?

>>>For a long time my computer has experienced issues after a very cold boot<<<

Do you recall what may have been the catalyst of the very first instance of a "very cold boot"? Do you have SP1 installed? If so, did the problems commence around the time of SP1's installation?

Are all Windows Updates...updated?

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 July 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

>>> I got this key from my CS teacher who got a list of activation codes from Microsoft as a promo for the school. Both he and I erased the code after I activated Windows<<<

What does this mean? What code? Erased? Promo? Could you be more specific?

My (former) computer science teacher has some friends in Microsoft's PR department. My (former) high school is a pilot program for Microsoft XNA in a high school curriculum and they sent him a list of about 100 Windows 7 Premium activation codes for his students because they just love him that much. I got one of them, and to avoid confusion on the list of activation codes, he erased the one I used so that he wouldn't give it to someone else too. I erased it after successfully installing Windows because I couldn't imagine why I would ever need it again.

>>>For a long time my computer has experienced issues after a very cold boot<<<

Do you recall what may have been the catalyst of the very first instance of a "very cold boot"? Do you have SP1 installed? If so, did the problems commence around the time of SP1's installation?

Are all Windows Updates...updated?

My Windows updates are up-to-date and the cold boot issue has been around since I've owned this PC. I have traditionally blamed it on RAM, hard drive, or CMOS battery (although I've never gotten a battery warning in BIOS).

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't call the problem 'resolved', but I was able to beg for another Windows key from my CS teacher and get Windows reactivated. I did not resolve the hardware problem, but thanks to all for offering suggestions. I'll be rid of this desktop when I go off to college with my laptop :thumbup2:

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

>>>... I was able to beg for another Windows key from my CS teacher and get Windows reactivated..<<<

Interesting. (Things that make you go Hmmmm)

Glad you got it sorted out, I actually had made a request to one of the moderators to look at this thread, I guess that won't be necessary now. I would ask you, for my own curiosity's sake & to add to my personal Windows info library, if you'd be so kind to answer a question I previously posed and have not yet answered:

Do you have SP1 installed? If so, did the problems with **activation commence around the time of SP1's (or shortly thereafter) installation?
(Bold=Emph added)

Thanks
"Thug"

Edited by Union_Thug, 04 July 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

>>>... I was able to beg for another Windows key from my CS teacher and get Windows reactivated..<<<

Interesting. (Things that make you go Hmmmm)

Glad you got it sorted out, I actually had made a request to one of the moderators to look at this thread, I guess that won't be necessary now. I would ask you, for my own curiosity's sake & to add to my personal Windows info library, if you'd be so kind to answer a question I previously posed and have not yet answered:

Do you have SP1 installed? If so, did the problems with **activation commence around the time of SP1's (or shortly thereafter) installation?
(Bold=Emph added)

Thanks
"Thug"

To be honest I don't clearly remember when I got the computer, but I know this problem has existed ever since day one. Whether it was related to SP1's release, I don't have the faintest idea.

edit: And p'raps I'd better re-iterate that my Computer Science teacher is piloting a program for the C# language and XNA in a high school curriculum, and as part of Microsoft's "we love you" package they gave him a list of 100 Windows keys to hand out (at least he tells me this :wink: )

Edited by Ryan 3000, 04 July 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

:thumbup2:

One last thing: DON'T erase the new key. :P

OFF TOPIC: I noticed your reply on another topic I'm watching:

I'm curious as to whether this problem began when you ran the 'fixer' program? If so, you have a pretty solid chance of malware pretending to be Dell support. I don't recommend taking any more advice from it. What's your antivirus suite? If you don't have one, I definitely recommend at least downloading Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm in 100% agreement w/you. The OP hasn't signed in since he/she lasted posted on July 1, FWIW.

Edited by Union_Thug, 04 July 2011 - 01:47 PM.

#11 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

I have a phone number for activation with Microsoft of 1-888-725-1047. I don't know if it is still good.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

To find the appropriate Microsoft Windows Activation Assistance telephone number for your region or country, follow the steps in this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/

Product keys, Genuine Advantage, and Windows Activation are one of the areas where the only real source of assistance is going to be Microsoft due to the secretive nature of the product activation scheme.

If you believe that you have been duped into purchasing pirated Microsoft software, you may contact Microsoft through this online form. Microsoft will look into the matter and take action based on the result. If you have been sold some pirated software Microsoft may offer you a new product key for free or for a discount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users