Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Up Virtual Memory?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lee_29

lee_29

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

I'm getting periodic messages that say my virtual memory is running low. I think it's affecting my speed and my ability to run large programs; I don't know if those are connected at all. Still, I would like to free it up and try running these large programs again.

I don't know if this is causing problems or not, but can someone tell me how to free up some virtual memory?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 lee_29

lee_29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I am on the office computer now but I will be on my personal computer soon. I will post that info a little later today. Thanks!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

Also check the virtual memory settings
Start - control panel - system icon - advanced tab
Under the performance section click the settings button
Then go to the advanced tab
Under virtual memory at the bottom click the change button
Make sure that it is set to system managed file. If it is not change it.
Click the Set button (dont forget to do that)
Click ok & the system should prompt you to restart

See if changing the virtual memory makes the issue go away.
Im most cases it will.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#6 lee_29

lee_29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/o0YvbuHp4V6XFnwOiyIV2Mj

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I would recommend getting at least 2Gigs of RAM for that computer, and freeing up some drive space with Temp File Cleaner.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

What would freeing up space on the hd do to help with virtual memory issues?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

It has been part of my troubleshooting experience over the last 11 years that I have been in IT to have has much free space on a drive as possible. the more free space the better off you are especially on a system of like the OP's. Increasing the Pagefile.sys amount will only make matters worse. Windows runs far better in my experience when there is more than 15% of free drive space.

And on his speccy he has about 15% free drive space add in more temp files and other things that are running in the back ground then you will run in decreasing drive space and the more windows will have to compete with resources. And with his machine using nearly 62% of physical RAM the more applications he has opened up the more ram it will take and the more drive space will be required.

Also see here:

Problems with Virtual Memory - http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

• It may sometimes happen that the system give ‘out of memory’ messages on trying to load a program, or give a message about Virtual memory space being low. Possible causes of this are:
  • The setting for maximum size of the page file is too low, or there is not enough disk space free to expand it to that size.
  • The page file has become corrupt, possibly at a bad shut-down. In the Virtual memory settings, set to have no page file, exit, shut down the machine and reboot. Delete PAGEFILE.SYS (on each drive if more than just C:), set the page file up again and reboot to bring it into use.
  • The page file has been put on a different drive without leaving a minimal amount on C:.
  • There is trouble with third party software. In particular, if the message happens at shutdown, suspect a problem with Symantec's Norton Live update, for which there is a fix posted HERE. If it happens at boot and the machine has an Intel chipset, the message may be caused by an early version (before version 2.1) of Intel's ‘Application Accelerator’. Uninstall this and then get an up-to-date version from Intel's site.
  • Possibly there is trouble with the drivers for IDE hard disks; in Device Manager, remove the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (main controller) and reboot for Plug and Play to start over.
  • With an NTFS file system, the permissions for the root directory of the drive where the page file is must give ‘Full Control’ to SYSTEM. If not, there is likely to be a message at boot that the system is ‘unable to create a page file’.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

If there is 15% free, that's over 10 Gb. Plenty of room for the pagefile. Some of the data from petri is incorrect. The part about putting the pf on a second drive but not leaving a minimal amount on c: is nonsense.

I agree it cannot hurt to free up drive space, but I sincerely doubt that has anything to do with this issue.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

This information would be extremely helpful in diagnosing the problems you are having. In all liklihood, your virtual memory settings are adequate for normal use. Something must have changed. A misbehaving new program, a malware infection, or even a new program that's not misbehaving but just requires more memory than a system of your computer's vintage would expect to be needed.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

This information would be extremely helpful in diagnosing the problems you are having. In all liklihood, your virtual memory settings are adequate for normal use. Something must have changed. A misbehaving new program, a malware infection, or even a new program that's not misbehaving but just requires more memory than a system of your computer's vintage would expect to be needed.

exactly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users