Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this an appropriate price?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vernhunt

vernhunt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

A friend of mine has asked me to fix all 7 of his company's laptops (HP dv2500) which he has made available to me for upgrading/reformatting. All I need to do is remove the Trojan virus that attacked all seven computers and re-install avg free anti virus and I want to upgrade all computers from window vista to Windows 7 professional. I have back up files for all computers. They have been attacked by various Trojans. Please advise me on the respective service charges for all 7 of the laptop computers.

All computers are the same model. I want to use AVG home edition free anti-virus. The Windows 7 Professional Cd and License keys will be provided free. Please help me figure out the total appropriate price to charge my friend. I'm not sure where to start.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Go to Best Buy, or call them, talk to the Geek Squad, ask them how much it would cost to fix 1 laptop. Minus however much $ you feel would do your right, and multiple by 7.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Geek squad charges 200 bucks per computer if i can remember correctly. From what I've seen most of them at BB or officemax or whatever aren't actual computer techs.

Depending on where you live the prices for an actual tech to fix those computers would be hourly. Count on $60-$120 per hour. Mostly they charge on a tier-based system. Something as low-tiered and easy as a virus removal would probably be on the low end of that.
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

If he has the cd's and valid licence keys for all 7 systems I woul d do them for a flat fee of say 75 bucks apiece.

I have my own shop and am adamately opposed to hourly rate pricing when it comes to technical support!
I always have, and always will, state that it is morally and ethically wrong to charge by the hour for virus removal or operating system reloads.

When you clean a system from viruses you load and update the software (10 minutes at most) and click the scan button.
You let it run for a couple of hours, meanwhile you have done nothing involving your time to the system except to watch it every once in a while. Every scan depends on the amount of data on the system.

When you reinstall the OS you boot off the cd, click next, type the user name & set the time zone.
The cd does the rest. A restore from a recovery partiton that I did yesterday took three hours plus.
My interaction entailed pressing F11 on startup,, letting it do its thing, then entering the user name and time zone. I literally did nothing else.

When you take your car to a shop the mechanic literally works on the car for the duration of the time that labor is charged. This is not the case with computers. Actually working on the system is minimal. The software does the most.

Is it fair and ethincal then, to charge an hourly rate while 95% of the time it takes to reinstall you did literally nothing? Of course it isnt! But it is done every day. I am opposed to that type of pricing.

Flat fee, case based pricing simply is more fair to the customer and more logical.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 vernhunt

vernhunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for the reply, Eyesee. I found it to be most helpful.
I have another question for you; how do you typically arrive at a service charge for any particular job?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users