Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Launching Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 august22

august22

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

I am running win7 and IE9 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. I have 2.5 Gigs Ram and 1.83GHZ
processor. Also a 500gb HDD about 13% used.

Problem: Programs will not launch or are very very slow to launch. I have kept
my machine free of viruses and malware. I also run a clean up program weekly.
Two days ago Dell support opened a window on my screen and said their was an installed
font on my computer that was causing some programs not to launch and ask if i wanted to
fix it . I picked yes and a minute later it came back and said "fix failed". I ran it
again and same results. Does anyone know how to pick which font is giving the problem?
I want to remove it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone know of a program that will fix these kind of problems?

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

You need to supply more information than what you've supplied in your OP.

Programs will not launch or are very very slow to launch.

What programs? All programs? SOME programs? What type of programs? Browsers? Office? Etc...

I also run a clean up program weekly.

What program? If you're referring to a registry cleaning program, read my signature line.

Two days ago Dell support...said their was a font on my computer...causing some programs not to launch

Which font? Why? Missing? Corrupt?

I ran it again

What "it" specifically?

Does anyone know how to pick which font is giving the problem? I want to remove it.

Again, you've not supplied enough pertinent info to even attempt diagnosing/fixing the fraudulent font (lol)

Worth reading:
repair replace corrupt fonts Windows 7 Google search
Fonts: frequently asked questions

Where can I find more fonts?

There are over 100,000 digital fonts in existence. Your best bet is to contact one of the font distributors listed on the Microsoft Typography website.

Some type designers give away their fonts for free, but most type designers and collectives (known as font foundries) charge money for the fonts they produce. The Microsoft Typography website lists font foundries where you can get fonts for free, as well as font foundries that charge for fonts.

How to restore Windows 7 default fonts.

Edit to add: You've also got several unresolved threads scattered about BC, also with vague information supplied:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404078.html/page__p__2294306__fromsearch__1#entry2294306
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401882.html/page__p__2278371__fromsearch__1#entry2278371
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic392251.html/page__p__2213601__fromsearch__1#entry2213601

Help us help you! :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 July 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

>>>Two days ago Dell support opened a window on my screen and said their was an installed font on my computer that was causing some programs not to launch and ask if i wanted to fix it . I picked yes and a minute later it came back and said "fix failed"<<<

I'm thinking that notice you got from "Dell Support" wasn't really from Dell and possibly malware.

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 July 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#5 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

I am running win7 and IE9 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. I have 2.5 Gigs Ram and 1.83GHZ
processor. Also a 500gb HDD about 13% used.

Problem: Programs will not launch or are very very slow to launch. I have kept
my machine free of viruses and malware. I also run a clean up program weekly.
Two days ago Dell support opened a window on my screen and said their was an installed
font on my computer that was causing some programs not to launch and ask if i wanted to
fix it . I picked yes and a minute later it came back and said "fix failed". I ran it
again and same results. Does anyone know how to pick which font is giving the problem?
I want to remove it.

try Download the file in line 12 on this page called exefix.reg.

Double click on the file to correct the registry entries.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

I'm curious as to whether this problem began when you ran the 'fixer' program? If so, you have a pretty solid chance of malware pretending to be Dell support. I don't recommend taking any more advice from it. What's your antivirus suite? If you don't have one, I definitely recommend at least downloading Microsoft Security Essentials.

edit: It's really too bad that you own a Dell for this part. I've seen websites warning me that my Internet Explorer is out-of-date, to which I only respond, "lol, I'm using Google Chrome". It would make troubleshooting this issue a lot easier if you got a Dell pop-up on, say, an HP laptop. Just thinking out loud here. :blink:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 04 July 2011 - 02:22 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users