Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound due to sliding volume control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brookela

brookela

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Hello, All! This is my first problem request so if I forget something please humor me.

Yesterday I played a YouTube video on my eMachines laptop (reconditioned, and purchased in 2004, that has worked just fine all this time but I know has to be replaced). When I tried to play this video for my daughter, the slider on the volume control in the system tray and the slider on the Windows player refused to hold the volume I wanted and slid to the low position, causing the sound to be nil.

I went to a Windows forum and searched for the problem - to no avail - but downloaded SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition to check to see if I had bugs. Aside from the usual ad-related stuff, it found something called Trojan.Agent/Gen-Krpytik which it subsequently quarrantined and I deleted. However, that seemed not to have solved the problem.

Then I looked in my Bookmarks and found you lovely folks. Since I'd forgotten the name/password I'd used the last time I had a problem, I joined again, and spent two or three hours searching for a post describing the same problem. Today I continued by lonely search with no more success than I had yesterday.

I'm posting in hopes that you will be able to help me with this. There was one person who had a similar problem some time ago, but that post had never been answered. Help, please?

Many thanks and bright blessings!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Does it slide down on its own? Maybe one of the hotbuttons on the keyboard that turns the volume down is stuck.
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#3 brookela

brookela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Yes, it slides down on its own. As far as the "hotbuttons" go, I don't know what they are. I tried all the F-buttons but they didn't do anything that I could see. Any other suggestions, please? Many thanks!

#4 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Yes, it slides down on its own. As far as the "hotbuttons" go, I don't know what they are. I tried all the F-buttons but they didn't do anything that I could see. Any other suggestions, please? Many thanks!

You probably have a button stuck on your keyboard that is turning the volume down automatically. It should have a little speaker symbol by it.

Edit: or above your keyboard or a little slider button that could be around the edge of the laptop. Just look everywhere for an external volume control source.

And make sure your scroll lock button is off. Turn it on/off again.

Edited by wiczjr, 01 July 2011 - 11:24 AM.

Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#5 brookela

brookela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

SOLVED!

Thank you so much for your suggestions, wiczjr!

I looked at all the buttons and keys - no speaker symbol. I wrote a dissertation on what I'd tried and then . . .

I looked on the side of the laptop, right by the headphone input-output plugs, and discovered a tiny little switchie thing. I pushed it the opposite way and VOILA! The problem is fixed!!!!

Who would have thought that such a small thing I never knew was there caused such a lot of agita! I must have hit the little switchie thing when I was packing up my laptop for the night (so the dogs don't chew on it - they so love plastic! - and never realized.

Thank you so much for your help, wiczjr! I know I couldn't have done it without your suggestions!

Brightest blessings to all!

Edited by brookela, 02 July 2011 - 08:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users