Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaine

Kaine

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hello all.

I realize this is only my second post, so I will do my best to not sound like a newbie.

My Dell computer (running Windows XP Home SP2) has been faithfully serving me well for 2 years. However, now that I connected it to the internet via my family's wireless network, it's been acting odd ever since.

For one, in the previous 2 years I have never seen the BSoD. Now it shows its ugly face at least once a day. The message reads:
"STOP... 0x000000D1 (0x000000C0,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF621D36B)
wind502u.sys - Address F621D36B base at F61E5000"

wind502u.sys appears to be something related to wireless internet (learned via Google search). I don't know how to update my driver for the "Motorola 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter" (WU830G appears to be the item #)

I don't know if it's my computer or the stupid wireless adaptor. If anyone can give me any ideas as to what's happening, that'd be much appreciated.

The most common time for the BSoD to appear is when I'm downloading a big file.

Thanks,
NinjaKaine
Daddy, what does "FORMATTING DRIVE C" mean?

--------------------------------------------

My Computer

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.00GHZ
1GB RAM
256MB Radeon 9550 AGP Video Card
Netgear WG311 V3 Wireless PCI NIC
Chaintech MP4M800 Mobo
Maxtor 100GB SATA Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

First off you are welcome to ask as many question as your heart desires. That is what ever one is here for. Second I am not a big fan of USB. It's like trying to do brain surgery with a Swiss Army Knife. You can do it but you may not be happy with the results. If you are running a notebook I suggest a PCICIMA adaptor (PC-Card), if a desktop/tower I recommend a PCI NIC.
With that said Here is a MicroSoft link that ay solve your problems. Let us know how it works out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q317326

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Kaine

Kaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for replying so fast, acklan.

Unfortunately the link discusses a problem when shutting down the computer, which isn't the case here.

I figured the adaptor was the problem. The computer I'm using is a tower, so I'll definitely check out a PCI wireless card. Any recommendations as to where to look for a PCI card online? I've heard good things about Newegg.com

In light of this experience, my advice to everyone here is to stay away from this Motorola USB Adaptor.

My Computer

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.00GHZ
1GB RAM
Chaintech MP4M800 Mobo
Maxtor 100GB SATA Drive

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

Before spending more money, I would go to the motorola website, look up your wireless adaptor and see if there are new drivers. Uninstall the current setup and reinstall the drivers. If that doesn't solve the problem, then look into a pci adaptor if it is a desktop, or pc card if a laptop. You can look on line, but for the little bit of money you save, you might try a local store and if you have problems return the card.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

This site has good prices and I personal recommend them. Been using them for years. Free shipping also, you know built into the price. :thumbsup:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wirnetprod1.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Greeney506

Greeney506

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

Kaine I have the same exact message and problem and I am also using the 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Motorola Adapater, tihs has been happening for several months and I didnt realize what was causing it, it occurs atleast once a day if I find a solution I will surely post I found this and downloaded it from the motorola site I have yet to see if it works good luck http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/pr...ftware_RC33.exe

Edited by Greeney506, 07 March 2006 - 05:13 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

tigerdirect is good and so is amazon.com sometimes.

Check circuitcity.com. bestbuy.com and compusa.com too. Their weekly ads are good sometimes.

Look in the device manager and see if any of the USB connected devices show a yellow or red warning mark. If they do, remove the usb wireless device (or anything else plugged into any usb port) and delete whatever shows the warnings. Reboot and let windows reinstall them choosing Windows Update as the only source.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 March 2006 - 11:59 PM.

#8 Kaine

Kaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

thanks all for your replies. i ended up buying a netgear 801.1g NIC. so far all is well... aside from my new computer complications. but that's a new topic. it's not wireless internet anymore.

My Computer

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.00GHZ
1GB RAM
Chaintech MP4M800 Mobo
Maxtor 100GB SATA Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users