Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Service Pack 4 ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 winndb

winndb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4
Attached File  SP4.zip   28.44KB   10 downloads
I found the above entry in the registry of my Windows XP Home edition machine.
Since Service Pack 4 does not exist I am quite perplexed about it.

My OS is an authenticated clean installation Windows XP Home Edition Sp3 that has always been updated using MS Automatic Update. Why then would the registry reference a Service Pack 4?

The full registry entry is included. See SP4.zip attachment.

Any Ideas anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4 is a normal key for XP, it is after all the logical category for "updates after SP3"

For example, see the discussion here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/a157d4cf-ac1c-4881-ba88-bef36bf58f99

Edited by Platypus, 01 July 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

I'd never noticed that particular key, but my "bare" XP virtual machine, which aside from updates has nothing installed and gets reset every time I run it, also has that key and almost identical subkeys.

Based on that, I'm inclined to think that it's normal and to be expected.

My guess is that "SP4" in this case refers to updates which came after the release of Service Pack 3 and which would therefore be included in any future release of a fourth service pack for XP, since each service pack includes all updates issued up until the service pack is released. So while there is no SP4 for XP, the naming convention still references it (though this is merely speculation.)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

I think it's a valid entry...if you Google, you will see that, I think.

I have to guess...strictly guess...that it's a mechanism MS creates for all potential updates which may be included in an anticipated SP4. Just a wild guess.

I have various registry entries relating to SP4 on this XP install.

Louia

#5 winndb

winndb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hi Platypus, Thank you for your reply .
The link you have provided is in reference to The Windows Server Edition which has indeed had a sp4 release. My OS is the Home Edition.

Be Safe,
winndb.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

Sorry winndb, I can see how it would be confusing using the discussion on a server forum, but the reference is to that key being present on the other computers on the network, not particularly the server. I intended it to reassure us that the update status gurus considered it normal for the SP4 key to be there, and probably should have mentioned I'd checked that it was there on my own XP Home systems.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users