Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird files in my Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lagato445

Lagato445

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello, I'm writing because i been having weird things happening to my hard drive. I recently bought an external hard drive and added more ram on my pc. I bought an external drive since my old drive was running out of space. It has 37 GB and is down to 174 MB. One of the weird things going on with my internal hard drive is every time i check it, it seems to lose more MB and i don't know why. Also these weird folders have popped up and the folder names have numbers and letters, once i click to go into it it says dotnetfx35 set up and other dotnetfx35 files. Some of these folders are the same and i tried to delete them but my computer wont let me. Here is an example of one of the folder names
5db04cf14f3b47380c566badabf6, and another one 5af882f694e1714bffb8c1. Also it seems my external drive that i bought has been infected too because one of those folders appeared their 1a57b15e6c5afa971965a5 and it was never their when i first installed that drive. I'm trying to clean some space in my internal drive and would appreciate any input as to why i keep losing MB and they weird folders. I also deleted system restore points because i read they take up space in the HD so i deleted all but the most recent one, i use disk clean up about every 3 days. I also have ran malewarebytes and it found nothing. I dunno if my registry might have errors or what is causing this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Have you installed any software recently or updates windows while the external drive was connected? Because those folders are from windows update and installation of programs, also the dotnetfx35 folder is from .net framework update, I have these folders on my computer and they seem to be fine, though I suggest you check with another forum member because these may be from a virus/malware, but most likely they are from windows update.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Have you installed any software recently or updates windows while the external drive was connected? Because those folders are from windows update and installation of programs, also the dotnetfx35 folder is from .net framework update, I have these folders on my computer and they seem to be fine, though I suggest you check with another forum member because these may be from a virus/malware, but most likely they are from windows update.

Also, windows might be installing updates onto your external drive because your main hd is running out of space.

#4 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

OOO every time i shut down my computer wants to do updates though and a lot of the netframework files seem to be the same, their is an update when my computer is on for net framework 4 since I'm running a version of 3 and if i try to update it, it runs into an error. I wanna know if i can uninstall netframework and reinstall it? Also i dunno exactly what it does.

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Okay, .net framework is the under carriage of most windows programs, now it is strongly advised that you DO NOT
uninstall any critical windows components,Basically .net framework is a package of common support software that can be used by programs so that they don't all have to re-write the same software over and over again. More specifically, it's aimed at users of Microsoft's newer versions of programming languages like C#, Visual Basic .NET and others. (source ask-leo.com)Now, have you run any hard rive cleaning applications (namely the one built into windows) recently? Because running disk cleanup could save you some much needed space. Also, what version of windows are you running?

#6 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

yea i always run disk cleanup like every other day, Ive tried to do a disk de-fragment but i need 15% free space and i only have 9% on my 37 GB internal drive, i had 3.60 GB this morning after deleting some files but now i turned on my computer and I'm at 2.87 i dunno why it keeps going down. I'm thinking my registry might be messed up but i dunno how to fix that, is their some sort of free registry scanner out their? I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3

Edited by Lagato445, 01 July 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Okay, first USING REGISTRY CLEANERS DO MORE HARM THEN GOOD, now on the topic of cleaning, you could use ccleaner, just do not use the registry cleaning part of the program.

#8 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

ok im gonna try CCleaner and see how it works, on another note is their a way to shut off processes in my background that i don't need so i won't use up my pc's resources and strain my computer speed? because i added 2GB of ram and im not at 3.20GB and my computer seems to run as fast as when i had 1.20GB <_<

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Yes, you can eliminate startup programs, go to startmenu, run, and type msconfig and then select the "startup" tab, now don't go disabling things willy nilly, please if you can, unless there like 200 startup processes, list what is in the startup tab in msconfig.

#10 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

You still need help? :huh:

#11 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

i downloaded CCleaner and ran it, and it freed up 11 GB :lol: i read some reviews about the registry clean part of ccleaner so i ran it and it cleaned about 430 old DLL files which could have been left due to uninstalled programs. My internal HD seems pretty good now since i have about 30% free space again. Thanks for all your help :thumbup2:

#12 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

You're welcome, now I did advise in my other post to NOT mess with the registry, but since you seemed to already have done that and there seams to be no bad side affects now, I think you're safe. Now, can you please give me the hard drive percentage used now?
Also you can Download and run this defragmenter to see if it can consolidate some of the space on your drive.

Edited by Zestypanda, 10 July 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#13 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Lagato445,

Please be advised that:

As this is an open area, available for any member to post in, please use caution when following the advice given. Instructions from the following member groups is to be considered trusted:
Admin | Site Admin | Global Moderator | Moderator | Malware Study Hall Admin | Malware Response Instructor | Malware Response Team | BC Advisor

Other trusted helpers include Malware Study Hall Junior and Malware Study Hall Senior with "Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!" in their signature.

From this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users