Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hd Or Something Else?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nathcrow

nathcrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

I recently bought an external 160gb USB harddrive, I intended to use the HD to store my MPEGs, MP3s, photos & games.
I transferred all of my MPEGs & MP3s to the new drive and they all work fine.I then uninstalled all of my games in order to reinstall them on the new drive. I then attempted to reinstall the games (GTA San Andreas, Star Wars Battlefront, Doom3, Sims2) on to the external drive. Upon installation each game gets a few minutes into the installation process before my PC freezes up and I have to manually reboot. This happened with all of the games on several occasions.

After several attempts I decided to switch off the external drive & reinstall the games on to my primary HD, however now the same thing happens when attempting to install to that HD too with 2 of the games (GTA & Doom3), PC freezes up after 5-10 mins of installation. All of the games were originally installed on this drive with my current setup without any problems. 2 of the games (battlefront & Sims2) reinstalled fine on my original HD, so once again I attempted to install them to the new drive & PC frooze up.
Also the PC has crashed on 2 occasions, a blue screen momentarily appears with lots of text (I have no idea what is says, its only on screen for a second) and the system reboots itself, this happened when the PC was connected to Kazaa and on reboot the file I was downloading has completely disappeared.
The PC is around 2 years old, has a 2.6ghz processor and 512mb of RAM and a Geforce FX 5200 gfx card. I have never had any problems until now although I have noticed that the PC hasn't been shutting down properly recently on quite a few occassions, having to be manually powered off.

So far I have tried the following, none of which make any difference to the installation problem;

Formatted the external drive
Ensured Virus definitions are up to date and done a full scan (Norton)
Emptied Windows 'TEMP' folder
Updated 'Installshield' engine
Checked that I don't have a bad stick of RAM using DocMem
Ran Scandisk
Scanned with Ad-Aware & Spybot
Increased Virtual memory size

Can anyone please offer any advice or assistance at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

Kazaa is not a safe file sharing program. Of course there are several different varieties.
Check the one you have against the list here:

The Spyware Infested Filesharing Programs List

--> Continued on Page two

( last updated 10 - Jan - 2006 ) NEW !

Total applications listed: 215 filesharing programs to avoid

All Kazaa programs listed at the above link, are spyware infested or worse!

Have you ran your security programs while in SafeMode?

Edited by Scarlett, 10 January 2006 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users