Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

:thumbsup: Hello again,
Can anyone please help me with this problem.

My son loaned his laptop which has Windows 2000 installed to a friend and it was returned today. Now when you try to boot it up a message appears on the screen, " NTLDR missing. Press Ctrl -Alt-Del and restart."
When I do this the same message continually returns. Please can you assist me ?

Many Thanks,

Tony. :huh:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

You will need the W2k CD. When it boots and begins the install choose R to repair Windows 2000.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks very much for that. However, the big problem is----I dont have the disc, it was lost a long time ago, when we moved house. Don't that take the biscuit ??
Are there any other solutions or is it a case of new hard drive etc...?

Tony.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

Not a new hard drive. New W2k disk. At worst you will have to reinstall Windows. You should be able to purchase another copy with COA for about $60. You really need the windows disk.
There is one more option. It will depend on the damage as to if it will work. Go to BootDisk.com, and down load the W2k boot disk. From the C:\ run sfc /scannow. This will repair most problems. Hopefully the files are not damaged so bad that you need the disk. Be sure the space is between the sfc and the /scannow.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

Thanks, I've looked on the site as suggested....panic...Which download do I require, there are so many...please advise.

Tony.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Here is the link http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Create a folder on your computer to download them into it and un ZIP them there. Run the "makebt32.exe" to create your bootdisk. Here is the DOC from the page I have linked...

3. The W2K Pro disks are zipped images from the MS CD. Best bet is to download them, upzip them to a new folder where you also put makeboot.exe and makebt32.exe into and then run one of the makeboot utils depending on if you're in dos or windows to create the diskset. Or, one can use Winimage to just create a single bootdisk.

I hope this helps.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:20 PM

Microsoft has some troubleshooting tips on this error.

How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in Windows 2000

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

:thumbsup: Hello again and thank you for all the valued support.

Now, I have since had the opportunity to " speak " to my sons friend who borrowed this laptop and managed to extract the following information. Whist in his possession, he deceided to partion the hard drive, fair enough one things, until he told me afterwards he made the new partion active and the original disc space with the system programs on boot. After shutting down and re-booting, that is when the notification appeared as previously mentioned.

How then is this reversed ?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Tony.

Edited by Bonneville, 12 January 2006 - 07:35 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

What program did he create the second partition with? Generally partition changes with stanard windows tools are destructive, and possible non recoverable.
We have a great group of members. Let others respond to see what they can do. If it can be reversed the anwser will be here.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I'm not sure if this option is available in 2000, but every time you load Windows successfully Windows saves certain registry keys and applications settings on your computer. Then if you you ever boot your computer and for some reason Windows fails to load correctly, you can use the Last Known Good configuration to boot Windows to the last known good settings. To use this saved configuration when booting Windows, press the F8 key as Windows starts, and then select the Last Known Good configuration option. Your computer will then load Windows using these previously saved settings.

According to MS:

If the partition that has been incorrectly marked as active is a FAT, FAT32, or NTFS partition, you may be able to correct the problem by using the Windows Recovery Console.

See Changing Active Partition Can Make Your System Unbootable.

he made the new partion active and the original disc space with the system programs on boot

Not sure I understand that fully.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

Hi everyone involved,

I have thoroughly read and think I now understand all my options in this matter.

Tomorrow, Saturday, will be the big day to try and put into practice what I have been told, hopefully, I will have a favourable post for you at the later end of the day.

Many thanks, again,

Tony. :thumbsup:

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:48 AM

Was the Win 2000 Disk a retail disk you purchased or did it come installed on the computer when you bought it?

If you have the key number and you bought a retail installation of Windows 2000, Microsoft will replace the missing disk for a fee much smaller than a new copy of Win 2000.

If it came as an OEM installation the manufacturer of the computer should provide a replacement restore disk specifically for your computer (again for a fee but for much less than if you had to buy a new full install disk with a new license)

Contact support for whichever applies.

#13 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

:thumbsup:
Hiya everone.
I know its a little overdue, but the old disc turned up amongst some books which had been stored away.
Everything is now working as normal after following the useful information provided by this site.

Thanks again.
Tony. :huh:

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

If you haven't yet made the boot disks, do so now. You may need them in the future.

Also make an Emergency Repair Disk:

From Windows Help - start/help:

To create an Emergency Repair Disk

Open Backup.
On the Tools menu, click Create an Emergency Repair Disk.
Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
Important

You will need a blank 1.44 MB floppy disk to create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
The repair process relies on information that is saved in the systemroot\repair folder. You must not change or delete this folder.
Notes

To start Backup, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.

Choosing Also back up the registry to the repair directory will save your current registry files in a folder within your systemroot/repair folder. This is useful if you need to recover your system in the event your hard disk has failed.

Additional information on the repair process is available. If you are using Windows 2000 Professional, see the Windows 2000 Professional Getting Started online book or the Windows 2000 Professional Getting Started book that came with your Windows 2000 CD. If you are using Windows 2000 Server, see the Disaster Recovery How to section.

#15 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

Thank you for everything. All carried out succefully, once again thank you.

Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users