Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potentially Fried Mother Board

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BBadgerman

BBadgerman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

When I was dusting out my computer the other day and cleaning down all the nooks and crannies I managed to pull out a few cords connected to the front of my computer. No big deal, but I have huge hands and an even larger graphics card hindering plugging them back in. No big deal, I just powered down and grounded myself to work with it a bit. Pulled out the card, the PCI card under it and reconnected the cords.

After putting it all back together it booted up perfectly. Got to my login page and I decided to leave the room for a bit. When I came back there was the scent of burning plastic so I immediately powered down and removed the power cord.

After a bit of searching I figured out one of the cords that I had plugged back into the bottom had gotten too hot and started to melt the plastic. I removed it, unplugged it from the SD card adapters on the top of the computer and closed 'er up again.

New problem. The graphics card (which i'm 100 percent sure is in there correctly) won't send a signal to my monitor. I tried moving the DVI cord to the other jack, tried putting it in a different port and no dice. Everything is still receiving power (my fans, the graphics card's fan, etc etc.) but not running at all. I hear them whirring, working and all the lights are on but no go on running.

I've tried a few different things to troubleshoot it and none of it worked. So I try one more time after letting it sit for a while, having asked a friend about it and realize there's no power going to my keyboard. None of the lights are turning on, nothing indicating that it's working.

Is my motherboard fried? Is it my GC effing it all up? Am I up a creek without a paddle? If anyone could help that would be fantastic. My computer is a Gateway FX6800-01e and the only thing different about it from stock is the 3 sticks of 1gb ram I put in a few weeks ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Graphics card would keep the Pc from having video obviously, but if your Pc doesn't have ANY indication lights or if a wired keyboard/mouse plugged in isn't getting powered you'll need a new mobo.

#3 BBadgerman

BBadgerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Graphics card would keep the Pc from having video obviously, but if your Pc doesn't have ANY indication lights or if a wired keyboard/mouse plugged in isn't getting powered you'll need a new mobo.

I figured as much. Is it an easy fix to buy a new mother board and move all my stuff to it or am I better off just turning it over to a PC shop for a few hundski?

#4 BBadgerman

BBadgerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

If anyone is still glancing at this thread, i'm curious if that melted cord just being unplugged could possibly be the cause of my computer not running correctly? I'll upload a picture with this.

I traced the cords to the front of the computer where I assume they powered the SD card slots and that whole area but since unplugging there's been no indicating lights or power to anything on the front. Crappy quality, but you'll be able to see the melts and the cord type.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/Tobias_Salem/IMG_20110703_141250.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/Tobias_Salem/IMG_20110703_141301-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users