Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LCarr474

LCarr474

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Hello all bleeping computer friends!

I have a question. I work in a small office and it was suggested that we purchase an Iomega StorCenter ix2 NAS device for backing up our computers. Link below describes the device.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=89740&CatId=2671

We only have 3 computers but I think that it might be cheaper and easier for me if we get individual external hard drives for each computer.

I am not a technical computer wiz by any means so I thought this would be easier. We do almost zero file sharing as well. To make a long story short I work with someone who is very nosy too so I think that having the NAS device would be too much of a temptation for my coworker. I have nothing to hide but I always get the feeling that my computer screen is being read over my shoulder. If I leave my desk for any period of time I have to log off or my computer will be gone through. I've never worked with someone like this so it has been quite and adjustment.

Any thoughts on what back up methods that would be cost effective, get the job done, while keeping privacy in mind would be greatly appreciated!

Warmest Regards,

Laura :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

I think that individual external drives might be the way to go in this case.
Definitely cheaper too.

Do you have a safe or someplace that you might secure them at night in case of fire or break in?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 LCarr474

LCarr474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

We sure do! We have a large fire proof safe that we actually purchased from an army auction a looooong time ago. It is massive.

Thanks sooo much for your opinion. I'm leaning in that direction more and more.

Do you think I would run into any problems installing the external hard drives?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Nope - plug them in and go!
Personally I like the Western Digital drives but that is just my opinion.
You really dont need anything huge either. Not like you have tons of music or pics.

Maybe a few USB flash drives would do the trick for you.
They are really cheap. Depends on how much data we are talking about.
My 4 gig hold 12+ years of accounging and docs with plenty of room to spare.
You could carry them in your pcoket too.

You might check www.tigerdirect.com
Sometimes their prices are hard to beat & they ship fast.
You will have them in a couple of days.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users