Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ralphG

ralphG

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello All,
My question is : How is it the my cable broad band speed is 7Mbps
and my local telephone company is offering me up to 16Mbps.
I always thought the cable broadband was faster.
Could someone explain this to me.

Thanks. :dance:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Tiered service levels. There are 4 levels of service available for me in my area. The greater the bandwidth the higher the cost of course. Unless you get one of those 'introductory' or 'bundled' packages.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

There is a reason the phone company says "up to". The top speed is achieved at their office or hub.
After that speed drops to dialup speed in a little over 3 miles.

More info: DSL vs Cable - Which High Speed Internet Service Is Faster?

The question of whether DSL or Cable is better will often come down to the local area you live in. Speeds are going to be very dependent on how close you live to your local DSL hub and whether or not your Cable provider has updated their connections with fiber optic technology........................

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 ralphG

ralphG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I needed to know is what is difference
in speed. I always thought of DSL along the same lines as "dial up"
that is -very slow-. I have been using cable for a long time. But now
my local telephone company is offering me unlimited bandwidth and a
speed of twice that of cable for almost half the cost (and its
not a promo).

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Not sure what you are asking.
If you are asking what speed you would get if you accepted the DSL offer, then it would depend on how
far you live from the phone company's hub or office. For instance, I get the same offers from ATT but I live
too far from the hub to even use DSL. That distance is measured in the distance the phone signal travels over
the wires and not as the crow flies. As I said in my other post, if the distance is over 3 miles the DSL signal would drop
to dialup speed.

My cable service travels approximately the same distance but cable is not affected by distance. What I pay for is what I get.

Maybe you did not go to the link I provided and did not read all the info it had. Here is the link again.
DSL vs Cable - Which High Speed Internet Service Is Faster?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users