Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaGlets

GaGlets

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hello, i have small problem,
Sometimes short time after startup all system freezes suddenly and I can not do anything with it, except hold shut down button.
I have monitored my CPU performance on startup and it goes crazy when my avast anti-virus is updating almost about 70% of cpu usage.

Technical details:
Celeron Dual-Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90 GHz, 3gb ram, Mobile intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

I have not installed anything new, have runned ccleaner few times, also Disk Clean up and defragmenter. Scanned with the same avast scanner and Trend Micro House call, everything was fine. Never done any cleaning in `fan` region.

Edited by GaGlets, 30 June 2011 - 02:50 PM.

I made you to read this.

Regards GaGlets

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herp Derp

Herp Derp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Try starting your machine in safe mode. If it still has difficulty with freezes, it might be a hardware issue. If the machine starts up fine in safe mode and no problems are encountered then it is likely that you have some form of malware on your machine. In that case download an anti malware such as hitman. All just suggestions to start with.

Edit: If all else fails, try to reinstall avast or go with another free antivirus (e.g. avg).

Edited by Herp Derp, 30 June 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Are you saying you have both Trend and Avast anti virus apps installed?

#4 GaGlets

GaGlets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

@ Herp Derp
Windows freezes only sometimes. This mornig I monitored it again, Avast anti-virus were using 91% of CPU and almost 0.8 Gb of Memory. But after it finishes update everything works stable and fine.
Posted Image
No problems in safe-mode - probably because there is no internet connection and update attempt fails.

@ Allan

No, I am not using two or more anti viruses at the same time. Trend Micro (Hijack This) House Call is typical scanner nothing else i guess, atleast it does not require installation.

Edit: If I am manually updating avast then it takes the same amount of CPU too and memory goes `wild`.

Edited by GaGlets, 01 July 2011 - 04:56 AM.

I made you to read this.

Regards GaGlets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users