Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Vista to Win 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hello, My neighbor has just brought around his desktop saying he tried to load Win 7 over a Vista installation, now he says he cannot install Win 7 and Vista appears to have gone. When I fire it up, I get a screen saying "starting Windows", this then goes to a window saying "Setup Starting Services" which then comes up with the message: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click OK to restart the computer and then restart the installation"
What has happened is: he has tried to install an upgrade version of win 7 that is meant to upgrade from the starter edition of Win 7 which he did not have installed and in doing so Vista has been wiped, but before I tell him this I am looking for a confirmation of my diagnosis, does this theory sound plausible? bye the way he does not have a Vista installation disk either!
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

if its a win7 upgrade disk ,try this to install it ,start the windows install ,when it asks for you to enter the windows key ,don't put it in ,install windows with out the key .when the install is finished ,and up and running ,put the win7 disk in the drive and let it boot,it should show on the screen and give you a choice to upgrade and install it again ,it will see the first install as a excising version of windows,and allow the upgrade ,this time put in the windows key ,good luck ,any ? just ask

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks caperjac, will try that in the morning, I'll let you know how it went, many thanks.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users