Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Antispyware 2012 and Security Protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rockcore

rockcore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I am running Windows 7 on my Dell laptop and generally use Firefox for internet surfing. I am running Macafee Antivirus. I am not a real powerhouse when it comes to the details of the computer.

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly had popup windows everywhere from Win 7 Antispyware 2012. I am generally pretty safe internet user and suspect that I may have gotten infected by inadvertently clicking on a banner ad. Once I identified it as a virus/malware I used my old computer to get instructions from Bleepingcomputer to get rid of it. This included the following steps:

-Download and run fixncr.reg
-Download and run Malwarebytes Antimaleware and perform full scan
-I did not run the suggested iexplorer as my antivirus program kept blocking it.
Reboot and run a Macafee scan

Everything seemed to go OK and all of the popup windows and warnings disappeared....for about a week. Then they came back. I ran the Malwarebytes program again and thought I successfully nuked the problem.

This morning I got the popup screens indicating that I had the Security Protection Virus. This really locked up my computer and I removed it by

-Rebooting in Safemode with Networking
-Downloading and running tdsskiller
-Running Malwarebyte Antimaleware.

Everything seems to be gone again. My question is about the reoccurance. Is there something else that I should be doing to make sure that this is not just sleeping somewhere on my computer?? The other thing that I noticed is that several of the programs that I used to combat this are marked with the same blue and yellow shield that seems to be associated with Win 7 Antivirus and Security protection...or did I just not notice that before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi rockcore, and welcome.

You should clean temp files with Temp File Cleaner:

• Double click on TFC.exe to run the program
  • Click on Start button to begin cleaning process
  • TFC will close all running programs, and if ask you to restart computer allow it

then scan your pc with ESET Online Scanner following this steps:

• Disable your Antivirus and other security software
  • Click here to open ESET Online Scanner
  • Click the Posted Image button
  • Only if you don' t use Internet Explorer:
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer and Save it to your desktop
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu icon on your desktop
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click Posted Image
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and Uncheck Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will download updates and install itself, then begin the scan. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click Posted Image
  • Click Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan
  • Click Posted Image
  • Click Posted Image
and next download Security Check, save it to your Desktop and:

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; save it to you desktop

Now you should to re enable the protections that you have previously disabled and i
nclude the contents of the reports in your reply.

Everything seems to be gone again. My question is about the reoccurance. Is there something else that I should be doing to make sure that this is not just sleeping somewhere on my computer?? The other thing that I noticed is that several of the programs that I used to combat this are marked with the same blue and yellow shield that seems to be associated with Win 7 Antivirus and Security protection...or did I just not notice that before.

Can you attach an image of this in your next relply?

Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users