Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing LAN connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mgm99t

mgm99t

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hello All,
I have browsed the forum looking for the same problems but to no avail I could not find one.

The problem I have now is after a bad thunder and lightning storm I no longer have a working wired connection on my Toshiba A300D laptop. I have tried:
1)switching cables
2)switching power off and restarting
3)Looked under device manager under network and could not find LAN symbol, only Atheros wireless network adapter (which still works)
4)scan for hardware changes

All of this has come back negative and I am stil no closer to resolving the issue. On the ethernet port it still lights up in green and orange. I am hoping that I am just missing something simple instead of replacing or adding an external pci.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

I would

a. Uninstall the network drivers via Device Manager...then reinstall them.

b. Reset the router by powering it off and then on.

c. Be prepared for the possibility that the NIC is dead. Happened to me with a laptop eons ago, same situation (nearby lightning strike).

Louis

#3 mgm99t

mgm99t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for the tips however I can't even

a) uninstall the network drives because they do not show up

B) tried turning off the router and powering back up

c)How do I find out if the NIC is dead? It has lights on still. I just dont have anything under device manager such as LAN or network adapters except wireless adapter driver.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

Since it's a laptop...the only way (I know of) to verify a nonfuctioning device...would be to temporarily install a cardbus NIC and see if that works.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users