Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beclearfocus

beclearfocus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

My priority is to connect my Mac to my Windows computer at work using Remote Web Workplace.

I have new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.7, and my computer at work runs Windows XP.

I have the trial of Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac loaded on my Mac. This Parallels software runs quickly and well on my Mac.

To open Remote Web Workplace in Parallels, I open Internet explorer, access my GMail account, and click on the link to Remote Web Workplace where I join my Workplace's network.

The Remote Web Workplace runs exceedingly slowly using this process.

I know that it is very possible to access a Windows computer using a Mac, and would like to know what steps I can take to make this connection work well, quickly, and efficiently.

Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate what help I can get on this matter.

Beclearfocus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

My priority is to connect my Mac to my Windows computer at work using Remote Web Workplace.

I know that it is very possible to access a Windows computer using a Mac, and would like to know what steps I can take to make this connection work well, quickly, and efficiently.

So, you just want remote desktop? If so, it comes built into Office 2011, or you can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=18140

Or do you have to use this specific protocol (Remote Web Workplace) when connecting to your work PC? If so, it's probably your internet connection speed that is bottle-necking and causing it to run slow.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 July 2011 - 08:57 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 beclearfocus

beclearfocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, now I have remote desktop connection downloaded.

I am able to log into my boss's computer using the IP address which all computers on the network share. (We use Small Business Server Remote Web Workplace to network the computers)

But I am unable to access my computer. Using whatismyipadress.com on my computer, I found that my computer has the same IP address as my boss's computer.

How do I log on to one specific computer when multiple computers share an IP address? Only typing in the name of my computer has not worked.

Thank you so much,

Beclearfocus

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

The thing is (which you have already found out), is that the network is using NAT, which means all the computers have the same public IP but different local IP's.

This article explains what I mean: http://amarkm.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/nat/

If you were on a home network setup, you could forward port 3389 in your router to direct to the local IP of the computer you want to remote in to. However, on a work network, this is likely not an option.

I'm not sure why (or even if) you are limited to running Remote Web Workplace in a Windows virtual machine (Parallels). Does the web interface not work in Safari on the Mac?

Your best bet is probably to contact your Tech Support and see if there is a better way to do this. There isn't much I can do for you. Sorry.

#5 beclearfocus

beclearfocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi, Thanks for that link, its very helpful.

The reason that I had to use a Windows interface to access Small Business Server Remote Web Workplace was that RWW requires Remote Desktop Active X Control Software which is not Mac OS compatible as far as I have found. Parallels gave me access to Active X through Internet Explorer on my Mac, but ran exceedingly slowly. Crossover is possibly still an option to get the Active X Software through Internet Explorer on my Mac, but when I try this method, an error message tells me that the security settings on Internet Explorer prevent me from downloading Remote Desktop Active X Control software. Through the crossover interface, I cannot access Internet Explorer's security settings. Any thoughts on this?

Having given up on remoting in though the Small Business Server Remote Web Workplace, I tried the more direct route into my work PC of Remote Desktop Connection for Mac, as you suggested. It works great on my Mac as long as I'm at the office, not at home. Now it looks like to go forward with using Remote Desktop Connection from home, I would need to configure the modem to route incoming remote desktop connections to my specific computer. It may be an option, I'll contact my tech services about this part.

Thanks so much for all of the information!

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

when I try this method, an error message tells me that the security settings on Internet Explorer prevent me from downloading Remote Desktop Active X Control software. Through the crossover interface, I cannot access Internet Explorer's security settings. Any thoughts on this?

That's probably managed by your tech support through Group Policy. I don't know anything about "Crossover", though.

Thanks so much for all of the information!

You're welcome! I hope you find a solution that works well for you! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users