Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port issues I think?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Teach2Reach7

Teach2Reach7

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

So hoping someone can get to the root of my issue.

A couple of weeks ago, my Globetrotter device from ATT started working sporadically in the port. I have updated all driver devices for it, had it checked out by ATT and it is not the device, which leads me to think it is the laptop with the issues.

Laptop is a Toshiba L505-ES5018

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Ran multiple Avast virus scans..all clean
2. Ditto Malwarebytes
3. Went into Device Manager, uninstalled all USB Controllers and reinstalled..still have the issue.
4. Updated all BIOS from Toshiba

So here is what happens: If I plug in the device, it recognizes it. I get internet access and then after a short time, the device disconnects. I am thinking it is a port issue, but am at a loss as to what to do next. Do I need new ports? I have only had the computer a year, and rarely use the Globetrotter; the only other devices that are occasionally used in the ports are my Iphone charger and a printer, but not on a daily basis.

You guys have helped me out tremendously in the past..I am hoping you can again. I can't replace the laptop right now and don't want to send it out to repair unless I have no choice.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

My suggestion would be use a different USB port. Do you have a usb mouse or thumb drive? I would say put something you know works into that port and see if the device becomes inactive. I have seen those devices end up being bad having the same issues your experiencing, it's not uncommon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users