Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid BOOT.INI file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arrrggghhhh

Arrrggghhhh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

I've got an old computer that is running Windows XP that I've decided to upgrade to Windows 7. After a bit of trouble, I managed to get through the installation process. At least I think I've got through the installation process - the problem starts soon after the bit where you have to name the computer. Soon after, the computer has to restart, but when it does there are some strange noises from the computer and an error flashes onto the screen for a second:

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\windows\

And then the screen just goes black. I had to boot it up using the Windows 7 CD again and I tried going on repair installation. It checked, tried and failed to repair. Under details it said

"A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting".

I haven't added any new hardware during the installation process - all that was connected was the keyboard, USB mouse, monitor and power cable.
I then tried to do a clean install again, but the same thing happened. This is is rather frustrating, any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

Are you trying to upgrade or do a clean install. EXACTLY how are you beginning the installation routine?

#3 Arrrggghhhh

Arrrggghhhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

I'm doing a custom(clean) installation. I'm beginning it by putting the Windows 7 CD into the computer with XP already up, and running the setup file

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

No. If you want to do a CLEAN install (and are prepared to lose everything already on the drive) you need to BOOT to the W7 dvd. You cannot do a clean install from within the OS.

#5 Arrrggghhhh

Arrrggghhhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Sorry, I meant to say I tried both methods - I was doing the put-windows-cd-into-computer-with-xp-stil-running first, but since then I've been booting from the CD. In fact, the Invalid boot.ini error comes up as soon as I switch on the computer so I have to boot from the installation CD to use the computer.
Sorry for the misunderstanding

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

You need to make the dvd drive the first device in the bios boot order. You are not booting to the dvd.

#7 Arrrggghhhh

Arrrggghhhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED

It seems all that was required was a full clean and full format. Thanks anyway

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Yes, CLEAN install means format first, which has to be done by booting to the disc (it cannot be done from within the OS). Regardless, you got it straightened out and that's all that matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users