Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus. Anti virus software not functioning. Mysterious XCP file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deliman2

deliman2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

My computer (running XP) has been claiming it needs windows updates lately (every day). It's not the same pop up anti virus trojan that was more common a few years ago. It's a legitimate Automatic update. However it never seems to update and it often restarts my computer with no option of me being able to cancel. I can only delay it for fifteen minutes. Seems to only happen in the morning AM period. Lately programs have been running funny and freezing up more than I ever noticed before. My Netflix stopped working and when I went to restart my computer it said it was trying to shut down a program called "XCP" which it could not. My computer hasn't been crashing or locking up it's just suddenly acting off and that new XCP program and the constant need for updates has me suspicious. Also my Norton 360 not working correctly. I haven't had any problems in a long time and I was hoping someone could help. I have been here once before (I lost my old password and e-mail I used) and it was a great experience. thanks.

Edited by deliman2, 30 June 2011 - 06:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

I don't have a complete solution, just some thoughts that might help for now.
Whatever antivirus program you use, make sure it is always up to date. Some people purchase norton or mcaffee, or they get it with their computer purchase... then, the license runs out and they just use it without it being updated. I don't know if that's your situation at all but, figured it was worth mentioning.
IF you're ever stuck with an outdated AV program, there are free ones you can use instead.
If Norton is still licensed, see if you can run an update.

I'd also suggest Malwarebytes if you don't use that already. Download the free version, install it, update it, then run a scan. In most cases, a quick scan is sufficient. I'd start with that. If Norton has been running funny, chances are you will find something malwarebytes would like to remove for you.

Lastly... if this windows update is legit, and it's constantly doing this... I would guess that the update is failing ever time. What I'd suggest is making sure your AV is up to date, running malwarebytes, and then if that helps, do the windows update manually... You can poke around and see the update history and maybe you'll find the one that's failing.
sometimes updating manually will help you find updates you didn't even know were available and find the ones that might be causing trouble. Keeping windows up to date is important. Sometimes an update will make a big difference when things aren't working right.

I hope you get something figured out.

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 01:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

Well...is there a program or .exe file on your system...displaying "XCP"?

Louis

#4 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

I've seen legitimate updates fail due to overly strict Antivirus settings. Especially if Antivirus software prevents registry changes. Also important for any installations is making sure you are logged in as an administrator account. However I agree that you should first do a thorough sweep to make sure the computer is clean of virus/malware.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#5 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

I have been using Dial-a-fix for quite a few years, and it does a good job of fixing windows update, all though it will say it does not work with IE 7 or 8.

Also as for anti-viruses go, Spy Sweeper is by far the best. Norton, McAfee, and Trend all get infected with todays Malware. WebRoot Spy Sweeper is the only one in my testing that has been able to prevent the attacks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users