Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete 2 Folders/files

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Hi,
I've been doing a bit of housework on 2 of my external HDD's and I've got a folder on each one which I cannot delete or move. Initially I tried all conventional ways that I could think of including CMD but nothing worked. The messages I got for folder 1 was "Filename or volume label syntax is incorrect". Folder 2 which is on the other external HDD gave the message "cannot delete: access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected"

I Googled my problem and found a program called "Move on boot" but it hasn't worked either.

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

Revo Uninstaller is a good program for removing files\folders. You can read about it and download from CNet.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Unfortunately as far as I can see Revo Unistaller only deletes program files and any associated files and folders. I cannot get the program to target just a specific folder.

Since my last post things took a turn for the worst as the problematic folder on 1 off my drives resides in a parent folder and as soon as I open the parent folder windows explorer hangs and I have to use task manager to terminate it.

Still need help,

Regards,

Dave

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

Try Unlocker: http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi,
Tried unlocker with a dgree of success. It removed the folder from 1 of the HDD's but the most problematic folder still exists even though unlocker said it had removed it. It's so problematic that as soon as I open it's parent folder windows explorer freezes so I can't even access the other folders & files in the folder. So frustrating!

dave

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

Have you tried from safe mode? And have you tried Unlocker's "delete at next boot" option?

Edited by Allan, 30 June 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#7 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hi Allan,

Yes tried unlockers next boot option but it's still there and I also tried deleting the file in safe mode!!!

Can't understand what it is but it seems very resiliant.

dave

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

What are the names of the folders? And for the one that says "accessed denied", have you tried taking ownership?

#9 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

The folder that said access denied has been removed by unlocker but the remaining folder is called "here" and was a temp folder which I used about 6 months ago while transfering files. It is in a parent folder called "Documents etc" and as soon as I open "Documents etc" windows explorer freezes.

Dave

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

How was Documents etc created?
What else is in that folder?
Can you access that folder from safe mode?
What is the exact location of that folder (is it in the root of the drive or in another folder)?

Also, do you have an XP CD and do you know how to boot to the recovery console?

#11 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi Allan,
The file is on an external USB HDD which I occationally use to store unused files and folders etc. It is a FAT 32 system and the folder documents was made using windows normal "Add folder" option. In the folder are about 4 other sub folders which contain only data files as did the folder "Here". I haven't tried to access the folder in safe mode but will do that now and report back.
I'm not sure how to use the XP Pro disk to boot into the recovery consul, which is active on my main computer, because the last time I booted from the disk to repair XP a couple of years ago it said it couldn't as the version on disk was older than the install version, probably due to upgrades over the years.

Regards,

Dave

#12 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi Again,
Well I accessed the file in safe mode but windows explorer still froze but not as quickly as in normal mode. When I tried to access the folder here got the message "Not accessable The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
I was thinking of trying CHKDSK /r but it would take quite a while on the 500gb USB HDD, what do you suggest.

Dave

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

I do indeed suggest running chkdsk /r.

#14 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hi Allan,

Sorted. The CHKDSK found the problem and corrected it which meant the offending folder had been deleted but it when I accessed the document folder and tried to access the other folders widows explorer still froze so I have deleted all folders and files in the documents folder which meant that I lost whatever was in there. I can now move on!

Kind Regards,
Thanks for you help

Dave

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

Glad you got it sorted out. Sorry you lost the docs - my next suggestion was that you try to access everything with a different file manager. But as long as you're up and running, that's all that counts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users