Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil

jerseydevil

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

I tried several posts to find a cure for my external hard drive but came up empty. I just tried Maxtors diagnostic test last night and got error code de95cd45. I don't know what it means but maxtor says any code means it is bad and replace. Any thoughts or does anyone know what the code means?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

Does it work it all?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

Hi acklan, Yes it works as far as lights come on and when first plugged in, I can see the folders although many files are missing. Files that do show up can't be accessed and after a few minutes the folders dissapear from the drive so I unplug then replug it in and again the folder are there sometimes the files are too but still can't be accessed. Jpg images just show the irfan icon when in thumbnail view.
I see you responded to a different but similar post of mine. It is also about this drive. You asked if it is still under factory warranty and I belive it is. I will have to see. That would only get me a new drive though right? I would still lose all my files on this one. I do have many backed up by the way so I guess it's an exceptable loss although it sucks.

Edited by jerseydevil, 10 January 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

Way to go on the backup.. :thumbsup: They may transfer the files to the new HD, but I would not count on it. One other option is to see if you may have a virus of some kind. If you have access to an old computer and are not worried about cross infecting it (said an old P-2XX with '9x on it) you could slave it and scan for virus'. If you try this have all of you AV and Antispyware onboard first. That would include the primers for the online scans. I have a P-III 500mhz I use just for that purpose with W2k Pro. Antivirus antispyware and firewall to the teeth.
May not work but if you have the time what is there to loose. You may have some fun and learn something.

Good luck and keep us POSTed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the other day after letting this drive sit unplugged for about a week, I was able to access all the files. After moving a lot of my photos to my pc, I deleted about 5 gigs of old junk, ran norton which found nothing and also tried it on my friends laptop. it has been running fine for about a week now and I have been transfering files to cd. :thumbsup: Thanks to those who spent precious time tring to help. Those who said the drive was to full were right I think. Although at the time I couldn't even delete files to check. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users