Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP recovery tool

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LA714

LA714

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

After being unable to start in safemode due to DLL errors, and not having any recovery discs, I went to the HP site found that XP discs may not be available for those of us with preloaded XP programs. The site refers the user to tap F 11 and that will place the system into PC recovery mode. Ran recovery mode, following restart chkdsk screen came up. Message stated there was a bad file in C drive. Screen locked and went dead. System kept shutting down. How do I get this bleeping thing to start up. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Might be a hard drive that is failing.

What is the model number of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 LA714

LA714
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

HP pavillion dv6105 laptop media center edition

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

I just did a system recovery on a similar HP system yesterday.

Did you do the factory reinstall?
If so, how far did it get?
The reload will take well over two hours.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 LA714

LA714
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

I used the f 11 method and it has been running now close to an hour. When it ran last night it stopped but didn't come back up. Its running now so will have to see if it goes all the way to the end. To test it this evening, I did try to start it in safe mode. It ran the partition page but then stoppped I got a HP screen telling me to wait while windows started but the laptop shut down. I ahve had a secondary problem for almost a year and was teh power button fialed, Quick Play comes on automatically. To get the laptop to turn on and open windows I have to press cntrl, alt and delete together and keep hitting this combo until the desktop comes up. It is not easy to jump form program to program when I have to manuver it to turn on.

#6 vassily

vassily

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

No need for compicated measures. Reboot in safe mode ( hold F8 while rebooting)
Press start, than search system reset. Activate it and enter a date prior to the infection date.
The computer will reboot and you can forget your worries. Xp 2012 is spam.

See you, Vassily

#7 LA714

LA714
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! I am not sure what I did but some how the system came back. I used f 8 and all of a sudden I had the greetings window from HP. My desktop currently feature all the hi tech stuff form 2006 but when I went into the drive folders all my stuf was saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users