Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running with a cloned disk - problems include unregistered windows file versions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ed Levy

Ed Levy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 computer running XP Pro. It was behaving erratically. This may have happened after after Windows Update automatically installed SP3. I am running IE 8 (also automatically installed by Windows Update, I think). Hoping to eliminate the problems, I got a program called PC Scan & Repair Reimage. Among the things that it reported was that the hard drive was running extremely slow. I decided to get a new hard drive. I got a program called Paragon Hard Drive Disk Manager. I attached a 500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive to the Sata cables that had been running the DVD drive. The original drive was a WD 250 GB drive. I tried many times with the support team from Paragon to clone the hard drive, doing chkdsk /r multiple times, because Paragon reported such serious errors on the drive that it could not be copied. Fially, I ran a Western Digital repair utility. That seemed to completely wipe out the Hard Drive, but finally, I managed to clone the 250 GB hard drive by installing Windows (and nothing else) on yet a 3rd drive, putting the 250 GB drive in the Sata connections where the DVD drive was and using a USB enclosure for a 3rd drive which was the target of the cloning operation. I then swapped in the cloned hard drive as the primary drive on the computer. It does run, but there are many erratic behaviours.

Part of the problem with the original drive was that I was getting the error "Files that are required to run Windows properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now. The choices are to "Retry" "More Information", and "Cancel". I still get the message on the new hard drive. I generally cancel. But I have also tried using a Windows SP3 CD. I burned the image from a site on the internet that seems reliable. I ran it and installed SP3, but I still get the message.

Also, I re-ran PC Scan and Repair Reimage and the new hard drive was running just as slow as the old one, leading me to believe that maybe the problem was something in the circuitry in the computer that runs the hard drive.

I am running both MalwareBytes and McAfee. I have run scans and niether shows any viruses or malware.

An example of an unusual behaviour is that I tried to save the text of this message in Notepad. When I went back to Notepad, it shows on the status bar as running, but it does not appear to be running. It does not appear in the running applications on Task Manager.

One more thing is that at some point Mcafee popped up a message that a computer wanted to access my network. Thinking that it was one of the computers in my house, I allowed it. Now I don't know if it was a computer in my house. I have a screen shot of the computers on my network, but I don't know which address belongs to which computer.

Another thing: At some point, I got a message from McAfee that another computer wanted to log on to my computer. It was identified by an IP address. Thinking it was a computer in my home, I allowed access. Now I wonder if I have allowed access to an outside computer. (I am running a Mcafee Firewall.) I was going to paste the Mcafee Firewall report in to this post, but that doesn't seem possible and I don't see how to attach files to a post.
I have 5 computers in my house on a wired router. They are all behaving erratically. I am going to submit separate posts for each of the computers. I hope that is OK. I have now ordered new computers (a Dell Inspiron and a Dell XPS both running Windows 7), but I'm having so many problems with the existing computers that I am afraid that if I introduce the new computers, they will be infected, so I want to make sure the existing computers will not infect the new ones. I can de-oommission at least 2 of the existing computers (including the one currently operating on the cloned hard drive). There are at least 2 more laptops that I do not want to decommission if possible. I just want to make sure not to infect my new computers with viruses currently on the existing computers.

Another thing that happens repeatedly, is that something turns off McAfee Virus Scanning without my wanting to do so and I have to manually turn it back on.

I'm sorry this is so complicated. I hope you have some advice for me.

Thank you very much,
Ed Levy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users