Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System file corrupt or missing - can I recover data?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Levy

Ed Levy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

My daughter has a Dell Latitude 630. It was running XP PRO. She got messages from her virus removal program that a virus had been detected and removed. I think that it was a legitimate virus removal program. Now when I turn the computer on, I get the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to repair.

I have an original setup disk (though it's possible that it was from another Dell computer - I have many). When I insert it, it does give me the 'R' option. However, I have read on some sites that there are many risks to choosing the 'R' Option, including having admin passwords get reset causing the computer to become completely inoperable. I don't know for sure what the admin password is on the system (though I am pretty sure we left it blank).

Is there a way to recover the data on the hard drive without using the 'r' option? I tried using a bootable disk created on another computer by Paragon software, but that did not do anything.

I have a number of computers in my house on a wired router. They are all behaving erratically. I am going to submit separate posts for each of the computers. I hope that is OK. I have now ordered new computers, but I'm having so many problems with the existing computers that I am afraid that if I introduce the new computers, they will be infected, so I want to make sure the existing computers will not infect the new ones.

Thanks in advance,
Ed Levy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Can you access Recovery Console?

#3 Ed Levy

Ed Levy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

It seems like I can access the Recovery console, but, based on some things I read on microsoft and elsewhere, I have a serious risk of losing everything by using it. Especially since I'm not sure of my password (although I'm pretty sure it is no password, just hitting enter). Do you think I am safe trying to use Recovery console option 'r', or am I reasonably likely to simply render the computer inoperable that way and lose whatever data recovery chance I might have?

Thanks,
Ed

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Perform the following:

chkdsk /r