Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Fragmentation Programs Secure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gil58

gil58

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

I have heard that fragmentation programs for the older windows OSs have security issues so it's not a good idea to go online if you continue to use them. Anyone know exactly what that's about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

Are you referring to defrag that comes with Windows 9x or another program?

I have been using 9x for a long time & have never heard of security issues with defrag.
Actually, I dont see how there could be as defrag has nothing to do with being online.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have heard that fragmentation programs for the older windows OSs have security issues so it's not a good idea to go online if you continue to use them. Anyone know exactly what that's about?

This is a new one on me also.... I doubt it very much (maybe the person who told you this was just trying to sound smart or be interesting?)

Truth is, you should defrag your disks if you do any amount of web surfing as, especially now-a-days, some sites will download temporary content to your drive in case you need it (so as to minimize access delays).

This content is usually deleted as soon as you leave the site, but such saving and deleting causes fragmentation, so it would be advisable to defrag regularly.

But like Eyesee, I don't see how a defrag program could cause security vulnerabilities (unless the defrag program being used was so badly designed it screwed up the firewall files laying your PC vulnerable?)

Here is a link to a Defragmentation Information Center that has a lot of information on fragmentation and how to deal with it via defrag: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag/defragmentation-center/

Look the info over and you'll see why I doubt a defrag program would cause the issue you mention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users