Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to access sensitive info at work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi! Personally I try not to do it at work, for security reason. But what, for instance, want to access like a bank. Is there a way to keep from system admin from knowing your business? I usually tell people to do it at home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

My advice would be "don't". Most larger outfits monitor their Internet access fairly closely. Some might not mind, some may, but the network admin can almost always see what you are up to, and often much more. I've seen VP's shown the door after a brief session of "recreational surfing" at the office. Thinking you won't be noticed is a bad bet if your company is large enough to have any kind of dedicated IT staff, and even worse if they have specific policies in place. It's a security issue as well as productivity and liability, so there are a lot of toes to step on if you offend.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

It's entirely possible that your employer has set up their network in such a way that all traffic passing through it is logged and may be reviewed monitored. Depending on the sophistication of the implementation, it's possible for your employer to capture even SSL/TLS encrypted web pages and connections (and if your bank doesn't use encryption... find a new bank tomorrow.) Without knowing the particulars of your employer's setup it's impossible to say if/how it could be circumvented.

Which brings up an important point: bypassing your employer's monitoring system, for any reason at all, without their consent would be undermining the will of the network's owner. Granted, your example of visiting your bank's website is innocuous but to do so after bypassing the network monitor would still be a trespass against the network, not to mention likely to be a fire-able offense.

For these reasons we (Bleeping Computer) cannot help to bypass the monitoring on your employer's network. I refer you to the Board Rules which state, in part,

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

#4 one2treefor5

one2treefor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

I was right. Its not a good idea to do your personals at work. Thanks again guys. I always learn more everytime I go here.

But what about using your mobile phone? Because sometimes I do a quick transaction at my cell when I can't leave the office?

Edited by one2treefor5, 30 June 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

If your mobile phone is your property (that is, it's not issued to you by your employer) then if your employer intercepted any communications from it they would be guilty of illegal wiretapping (in the US.) Even if they did own the phone and pay the bill, they probably would have to get your consent before they could start intercepting anything.

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

I agree with Andrew, as long as you are using your wireless carrier's network. If you are using your phone via a WiFi connection at work your employer still has both the right and ability to monitor what you are doing - it's their network you are using. I'd also check policy. Most employers look the other way at private phone use, but if they are looking for a way to get rid of a few headcount it wouldn't be prudent to be the one seen in violation of any written policies.

Edited by Orecomm, 30 June 2011 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users