Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homeowner Associations gone amok

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

This is beyond imagination. What has our country come to?? First it's denying flying the flag of our country. Now they decide whether a veteran can build his dream home?

HOA Halts Construction of Paralyzed Army Vet's Home

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

And this is one reason, I do not support HOA's and think they do more harm then good. When I was looking for a house, I was specifically looking for homes that had no HOA's and where I can do whatever I want to the house. Just as long as it doesn't cause a neighborhood uprising.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Obama should get lost already. That's what's going on here, he's president!

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Agh.....as if the story I saw yesterday about the flag wasn't bad enough. :angry: Now why in the name of Sam Hill would they want a wheelchair bound resident to build a second floor? Sounds like Knob Hill is losing someone to be proud of, and they should be ashamed. <_<
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

That's why if folks want to build houses, then they should do it of their own accord and trust no one's advice unless it's a friend or family member giving it. I don't trust agencies like that.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

quote name='Animal'
"This is beyond imagination. What has our country come to?? First it's denying flying the flag of our country."

Actually, they did not deny anyone from flying the flag, that's just hate and fear mongering - what was not approved was the "method" of flying the flag.

"Now they decide whether a veteran can build his dream home?"

Hey, I'm a Veteran - can I build whatever I want wherever I want without following the various governmental - Federal, State, local - laws and the agreed upon rules and regulations of any Home Owner's Association?

Even though all we have is this one link, it seems clear to me that there is a lot more to the story. I'll wait for more before I foolishly pass judgement either way.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yes it is denial, when the 'approved' method was impossible to accomplish.

The approved method for the individual was to attach to the 'wood' on his home. No wood existed on the exterior of his home that would accommodate the 'approved' bracket. This is whats known as denial by process. Creation of situations that are impossible to accomplish. In the end you get what you want, no matter what.

EDIT: I moved this to the SpeakEasy because I should have known better when I created the topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Gee, I wonder how any home was ever built there?

Where'd you get that info - it's not from the original article which discussed a square-footage problem as the primary problem, does it not?

Update:

UPDATE: Late on Monday, Homes for Our Troops issued a press statement in which Sharon Gittens confirmed that she will be leaving the Knob Hill development. The Gittenses are currently exploring other options in the area. John Gonsalves, president of Homes for Our Troops, has agreed to continue the project in a new location.

Here's hoping they get it right this time.

:thumbup2:

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

My apologies. The comment about flags was in reference to another topic that being Fred Quigley. Not SFC Gittens which is the one who was denied a building permit.

The statement about no wood is found here" "The association allows for the display of the flag in holders mounted to wood on the house.

Quigley questioned whether that rule was clear.

"There is no wood on that house. That's composite board," Quigley said."

From: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/state/flag-controversy-turns-neighbor-against-neighbor-in-ohio-community

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Don't jump on me here, I know I cannot be the only person in cyber world to think the following. I am just rude and crass enough to say it.

IMHO... The HOA's attitude, smacks of racism. Things were fine in the community as long as the family rented a place to live, but when the family wanted to build a home among those white folks, OH MY GOD! Hide the kids! (There, I said it so no one else would need to feel ashamed that, that dirty thought went through their mind in an initial response to the article.). Proving the racism however, is not something anyone is willing to do and I can't blame them for that. It is easier to just leave and have the home built someplace else.

Cast

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

HOAs have their place, but these have gone way beyond. My parents neighborhood has a HOA, but they do very little other then maintain their own water system and parl, and throw a neighborhood party once a year. I dont know of really any restrictions on what you can/cant do to your house, other then they dont want it looking trashy, but beyond that if you want to wave a flag up front great, if you dont want a second floor you dont need one, etc. Thats the way a HOA should work, it shouldnt be there to control the people living there, just to assist them. Like theirs, they have their own water-why, city water stinks, so they have, and pay for, their own well. If the HOA is not assisting the people, then it should not be there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

No one is ever forced to join one of these Associations.

I see part of this as a division between those of us who believe in personal responsibility and those who do not.

When one joins an HOA or Condo Association, they are (or should be) shown the docummentation and they agree to abide by them.

Then, somewhere along the line, some decide that part of it does not apply to them and they are going to do whatever they want.

I am suprised that any of us would want such a person as a neighbor, but maybe that's just me.

I will agree that with any human endeavor, there will be some that are not handled correctly. Abuse is everywhere that a human is in charge of something.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yes if you purchase a new home that is part of a development then you must join the HOA or you will not be allowed to move it.

#14 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I agree with Patriot11. HOA's are to assist people not be a community government. Gated communities are different and are governed by specific council that sets the rules and regulations. I feel that community wants to become a gated community. The specific neighborhood where this community is though I have a feeling cannot become a gated community because there are sub laws within the City/County charter against gated communities.

Cast

Edited because I should not write somethings I think about.

Edited by castoffpolite, 30 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

My disgust is that the home was approved then at the 11th hour denied with unreasonable (see second story requirement) amendments made to be permitted to continue with building.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users