Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Does anyone have a professional opinion on CCleaner's registry utility's impact on your average system? I don't like that it removes 'unused' and 'obsolete' items (as the 'usage' can manifest itself pretty much anywhere and I'm afraid it'll break programs).
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

While ccleaner's registry applet is relatively benign, it does absolutely NO good. Nor does any other registry "cleaner". There is no such thing as a good registry cleaner, only those that don't do much (if any) harm. The best of them do no damage, while the worst of them will leave your system unusable. But NONE of them do anything useful. Stay away from all registry cleaners.

#3 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Lo these many years ago I knew nothing about programs like this and made the mistake of letting it fix "issues". :blink: After that I never saw my pictures again because it removed .jpg as an unused extension. Back then I didn't know how to fix it back. No, this is not for an everyday average user. If you want something to clean caches, temps, etc.....use something a lot more user friendly and simple, like ATF Cleaner. It leaves the registry alone, simple click and go, and it's small. http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

Hope this helps. :)
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#4 wiczjr

wiczjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Thanks teacup61, I do use ATF by the way it's great! I agree that people definitly should stay away from registry cleaners, especially a lot of the admins that I do MSP work for like to dink around with little tools that break their computers or their networks.

Allan: Incorrect. There are software upgrades (more specifically, uninstall the old program to install the new one, or re-install a game or software suite that you had on the computer previously and won't take unless the keys & files are gone). I run into this a lot and I either manually remove the keys or I do a quick 'fix selected issues' with Ccleaner and that will usually fix the problem. Frankly, I was looking for a more professional opinion rather than a paranoid rant....more specifically if anyone had a better idea of the criteria the cleaner used to search for things to remove. I should have been more clear; sorry about that bud.
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Allan: Incorrect. There are software upgrades (more specifically, uninstall the old program to install the new one, or re-install a game or software suite that you had on the computer previously and won't take unless the keys & files are gone). I run into this a lot and I either manually remove the keys or I do a quick 'fix selected issues' with Ccleaner and that will usually fix the problem. Frankly, I was looking for a more professional opinion rather than a paranoid rant....more specifically if anyone had a better idea of the criteria the cleaner used to search for things to remove. I should have been more clear; sorry about that bud.

No, I'm sorry but you are incorrect. There is no harm whatsoever with obsolete entries remaining in the registry. They do no harm and the removing them serves absolutely no purpose. My response to you was neither paranoid nor a rant, but what I hope was an intelligent response to your question. However, if you don't like the answer stick around and wait and see what others say.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

Tell you what - here's BC's official position on registry cleaners:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

#7 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. :( I just took your initial post at face value and relayed my experience with it when I was an uneducated average user. Many of our Helpers do use CCleaner, but the directions for the computer user are specific and never involve messing with the registry. Allan is right, BC does not recommend any reg cleaners, not even if they have a good reputation. Too much can go wrong with a simple click. As for the criteria, I really don't know the mechanics. I would *assume* it uses information from a certain period of time (ie, 30 days, 60 days, or whatever) to come up with the "unused" parts. For the reg keys, sometimes I wonder.....lol....it can come up with some wild stuff that has no business being there.

Posted Image

#8 wiczjr

wiczjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

I agree with you quite well Allan that there is no harm in obsolete keys and that registry cleaners are in general bad, but that post was quite condescending.

Like I said before in the example I illustrated to you, registry cleaners have a time and a place. Please refute the positive, consistant field experience that I have laid before you. The position that BC takes on registry cleaners is irrelevant as I don't recognize BC as an authority on this matter, and neither should you. I will trust my education, 14 years of field experience, multiple certifications, and the computers in which I have demonstrated, when properly used, a 'registry cleaner's' effectiveness on.

My question was: Does anyone have a professional opinion on Ccleaner's criteria for keys it likes to remove?

#9 wiczjr

wiczjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. :( I just took your initial post at face value and relayed my experience with it when I was an uneducated average user. Many of our Helpers do use CCleaner, but the directions for the computer user are specific and never involve messing with the registry. Allan is right, BC does not recommend any reg cleaners, not even if they have a good reputation. Too much can go wrong with a simple click. As for the criteria, I really don't know the mechanics. I would *assume* it uses information from a certain period of time (ie, 30 days, 60 days, or whatever) to come up with the "unused" parts. For the reg keys, sometimes I wonder.....lol....it can come up with some wild stuff that has no business being there.

No harm done teacup :) I'm starting to become more curious as to the mechanics of these registry cleaners. There is one in particular that irks me: registry mechanic. Same co. as spyware doctor? Substandard software at it's best. One of the admins that I have to deal with at one of our sites loves it, and I keep telling him to stop using it but he lives and dies by that program for some odd reason. It gets frustrating. I just hope he doesn't run it on one of their servers.

#10 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

I don't recognize BC as an authority on this matter,

Nobody says you have to. But WE have guidelines and rules to follow, and we do not recommend them. You won't get anything more positive than you've already gotten on this subject. If you "trust my education, 14 years of field experience, multiple certifications, and the computers in which I have demonstrated, when properly used, a 'registry cleaner's' effectiveness on." then why are you pushing this, and us? :blink: Our position is clear.

Posted Image

#11 wiczjr

wiczjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

I'm not pushing anything I was simply wondering if anyone had an insight as to CCleaner's critera for what it likes to remove? :busy:

#12 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

You could ask them. :) http://forum.piriform.com/

Posted Image

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

In my honestly, people, must I tell then I read the negative posts about Registry Cleaners, I said to myself, here are the Scepticals, those people have always complain.
But now must I say, I am afraid, that your complaint is fair.
Why is my thought now with you? Well, last had I use a Registry Cleaner program from Eusing, everything was fine. At least, I thought.

I rebooted my Computer, after reboot did I pressed f8 key for startup list and I got the message: Disk Read error occured, press ctrl alt del keys for restart.
In fact is it weird that I got now troubles, because in the past that I used a Registry Cleaner just like CCleaner, I had no problems, but with my result from the last time, I say, those people have absolute right. It is pity but true.

#14 wiczjr

wiczjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

You could ask them. :) http://forum.piriform.com/

haha....I was hoping to know the more useful things that it does so I could script a similar program of my own...they probably wouldn't appreciate that :P

#15 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Oh ....well....I see. No, they probably wouldn't. :whistle: I have to wonder though......why would you want to?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users