Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how best to protect the edge of my network if running WEB, FTP, email, and Teamtalk servers?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hello all,
I'm getting ready to set up my beautiful Dell PowerEdge T110 server to host my FTp server for me and my friends, my web server hosting a small web site (the one in my signature) with possibly the control panel to my email server via ASP.net and WCF eventually, as well as email and TeamTalk. This is on my network at home, but I'm not worried about anything there since my router supports port forwarding. What I am worried about is the potential for hackers to probe my open ports (80, 21, 25, 110, and 9998). I know that our router has a builtin firewall which I can tell to block DoS attacks as well as blocking anonomous internet requests, as well as the firewall on the server, but is that enough for what I'm doing, or do I need more such as the Cisco IOS firewall or another computer to run IPCop or something like that? Opinions would be great. (this is not a business server). and one more question, if I set the router's firewall to block annonomous requests, is that going to override the opened port 80? Thanks.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users