Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Build 6002 Not Genuine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

After a recent update a friend is getting notices that their windows is not genuine.
This happened once before, i don't know how it got resolved, i though i posted about it here but i didn't see anything in my history.

Here is a screenshot, there is a small tab covering part of whats there form my remote ( teamviewer) help software.
Posted Image

This is a completely legit factory installed windows Vista Home premium install on a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Sher runs MSSE and it keep telling her that she has 30 days to get genuine or lose functionality.

What could be happening here?

Edited by BNDAZ, 29 June 2011 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

"This copy of Windows is not genuine" - Why am I getting this - Microsoft Answers

Answer The Microsoft Activation Hotline - (888) 571-2048

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation (this means like your Dell)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573

SYMPTOMS - You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista activation was not previously required. For example, this problem may occur on a computer where Windows Vista was preinstalled by an OEM or by using a Volume Licensing installation. The problem does not occur on Retail versions of Windows Vista. For example, the problem does not occur if you purchased Windows Vista and installed the operating system on a computer yourself.

CAUSE - This problem may occur because a specific system setting is removed when a program runs with administrative credentials. The removal of this system setting may cause a BIOS validation check to fail. The BIOS validation check is part of the system activation process. Therefore, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista, even though the system did not previously require activation. For example, this problem is known to occur when you use Intuit QuickBooks 2007. However, this problem may also infrequently occur when you install other programs or device drivers.

RESOLUTION - To resolve this problem if it has already occurred, use one of the following methods:
If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have not used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then restart the computer.
If you have been prompted to activate Windows Vista, and you have used the product key to manually activate Windows Vista, install update 931573, and then activate Windows Vista by telephone.

Note If Windows Vista was preinstalled by an OEM, the product key appears on a sticker on the case of the computer. MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Jan. 2, 2010

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for those links.
interestingly enough i had after i made that post i left the house to run a couple errands when i got a text form the friend..."thanks, all fixed, rebooting now"
Hmmm.interesting I hadn't dome anything except take the screen shot so i called her.

SHE had seen me open up the my computer properties and seen the "change product key" link, and decided on her own to enter the product key that was one the sticker on the back of the laptop.
As soon as she did all the warnings went away.

Edited by BNDAZ, 29 June 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

COOL!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users