Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Hard Drive Failure Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 devonkrusich

devonkrusich

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have been trying to remove a virus on my computer running Vista for tha last few hours with no success. The virus is one that looks common based on my research. It has a pop up that shows a hard drive failure and file corrupt warnings and starts to run diagnostics. Most desktop icons and files are now missing.

Here is what I have already tried:
1- Run already installed AVG - Found nothing and then disappeared from program files
2- Downloaded newest version of Norton AntiVirus - scan found nothing but a few spyware like doubleclick and etc..
3- Tried removal instructions from this site at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-hard-drive-diagnostic - I followed directions and installed RKill. It stopped a couple programs. I then tried to download MalwareBytes from the link. I was able to save it to my desktop as instructed. however when I try and install it I get an Access Denied message during the install process.

How can I get past the Access Denied when trying to install MalwareBytes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

It sounds like you were following the instructions correctly, but I've run into this issue before with Vista/Win7 machines, what operating system are you running? After running RKill try renaming the Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware installer, then right-click and select "Run as Administrator". If you can get the install started you should be able to continue with the instructions. If not, I would try booting into Safe Mode and using the built-in Administrator account to see if that works, best of luck!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 devonkrusich

devonkrusich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the help. It finally worked when I changed the MalwareBytes program files to a different name and ran in Safe Mode.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm glad it worked! It's funny how it can always be the little things with these infections.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users