Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

this one's for the system/server admins around here

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hey all,
I'm running this tally in light of a situation that came up at work. I work as an intern doing testing and server administration at my college. Gordon happens to use a lot of virtualized servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 on top of a VMware ESXi layer. The problem with that is that screen readers at this point in time do not support that configuration. I'm running a tally to see exactly how many of you are using virtual versus physical machines, or a combination of both in your environments.
It might help to let you know what I'm doing. My boss and colleagues along with the main academic support director at Gordon are helping me to run an accessibility campaign for the blind in my field of server administration to allow them to participate fully in the installation, deployment, and management of their environment. Right now this is not possible due to a few things.
One: server models do not include sound cards, therefore, manufacturers do not take into account the possibility of blind server administrators. The blind have to fend for themselves by buying aditional PCI/PCIE cards, or by bringing their own portable USB devices for sound (useless in the ESXi environment),
two: Windows can't be deployed without sighted assistance right now unless SIM is used for unattended installations
and three: Sound is not possible in virtual environments using ESXi/Hyper-V.
I'm trying to figure the percentage of corporate environments to figure out my next part of the plan in order to get in contact with the CEOs/Program managers of companies like Dell, VMware, HP, and IBM. But I first need to figure out what the current status on physical versus virtual machines in the server room is in order to give possible probabilities of blind individuals participating in this world right here and now before thinking of the future (as it could involve huge additional funds). If as many folks could chime into this thread as they can giving a brief overview of the servers in their environment (as allowed by your bosses), I'd really appreciate it. I'll keep an eye on this one, and I'll reply from time to time letting you know the status. Thanks very much, and I appreciate anyone's support.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users