Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering files and settings from old xp pc to new pc with xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uturn

Uturn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

I am trying to move every thing from one PC to a newer PC both with XP, (the old one is XP pro and the new is XP media ed) and Windows easy Transfer sees both of them as an old mach. I would rather not use Files and Settings to transfer any thing with all the errors that are induced. I really do not want to spend 60$ for a one time transfer with PC Transfer. I am hoping that some one can help, or recommend a free prog to do this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

I am trying to move every thing from one PC to a newer PC

Hi Uturn -

Without spending the $60 on a Transfer unit, have you thought of USB memory sticks and CD's for your important items first.
You can later install those games and any other programs that are not as important.
If you use CD RW's you can re-write on them several times, also you can clean the USB stick after each use.

Thank You

#3 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Howabout 20 bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/Inland-8412-USB2-0-SATA-Adapter/dp/accessories/B001JQMEBM

Take out HDD, hook up to new PC, transfer files. Put HDD back once finished.
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#4 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Why don't you just remove the Hard Drive (the one with your files that you want to transfer ) and install ( Add It ) it into
the computer that you are going to make your primary computer. ( set the jumper to the slave setting )

When you boot up the computer it will see that Hard Drive as a storage drive - then you can just drag and drop the files into
the new Computer.

Did this on my wife's computer a couple of years ago.

Edited by Ramchu, 01 July 2011 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users