Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike178

Mike178

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

My PC crashed last night, then on reboot it goes to the black screen where you can select the three different Safe Modes, last known good config, or go to standard Windows.

However, no matter what is selected the PC hangs.

I was able to run the diagnostics and get it to show me the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

So I ran the system recovery CD for Gateway and it skipped the step to back up and went straight to the message"

"All files, including data files, on the user partition will be lost and the original factory-shipped files will be recovered to the user partition"

The issue is that I really have a lot of family photos that my wife would kill me if lost so I need to find a way into the computer, or at least access the HD long enough to get the files out to a portable HD.

My PC is:

Gateway 831GM Desktop PC Pentium 4 630(3.0GHz) 512MB DDR 200GB HDD Capacity Intel GMA 900 Windows XP Media Center

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

This can happen when there is an issue with the NTFS partition and I think the easiest thing to try at this point is run CHKDSK. Bleeping Computer has a tutorial on how to use the Recovery Console, If the recovery console is not does not show up as a boot option, you will need a Windows XP installation CD in order to load it, and the instructions are on that same page.

Once you are logged into the Windows Recovery Console and at the C:\Windows> prompt, type in "chkdsk /r" without the quotes and press enter. This will search for and attempt to repair any bad sectors on the drive, and here is some more information on chkdsk from Microsoft.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

#4 Mike178

Mike178
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

OK, I have tried to do this stuff but everything in the recovery console does nothing but freeze. I load up the install CD for WinXP but it never is called before the screen to select which windows to login on.

Any more suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

#5 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

Just to make sure I understand - when you put your Windows CD in the drive it doesn't do anything but load Windows to your normal login screen? You may need to update the boot order in your BIOS, the CD/DVD drive needs to load before your Hard Drive (HDD) and it will come up with a screen that says something like "Press any key to load...". If you press a key within this time you will see a blue screen as the drivers load, and you can follow the prompts to get to your recovery console.

From the Recovery Console link:

• When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#6 Mike178

Mike178
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

My BIOS boot order is already that way. It goes to both of my DVD drives before HD. Then it goes to the black screen where I can select either normal, last known good, or three safe mode options. However, no matter which I select the PC hangs.

Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

If you are trying to use a Gateway recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults CD...in lieu of the stated MS Genuine XP CD...you nned to bear in mind that the MS instructions are written for use with a Genuine Windows CD, not recovery/restore CDs issued by system manufacturers.

The Gateway support page for your system...would be the source of info to use, in that case.

Louis

#8 Mike178

Mike178
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

ISSUE RESOLVED!

I was able to get a WinXP Recovery boot disk from a friend of mine, boot up to a command prompt, and run chkdsk /r and that fixed it enough for me to be able to reboot the computer and login on Windows.

Thank you for the help!

Mike

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users