Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card recognize problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

Hello guys!

When I try to play a game like Team Fortress 2 or CoD: MW2 on my laptop, I always get an error message that says that my video card is recognized as an Intel HD Graphics, and the game will not run properly.

It's bizarre, because my GPU is in fact an Nvidia GeForce 420M. I'm 100% sure it is, because when I bought the lapotop, it was written on the box Nvidia 420M GPU in the specs and I'm actually using Nvidia GPU drivers...

So I want some help to solve this annoying problem. I think it's started when I contacted Dell support for a video problem, and the guy probably changed something...

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Hi alpha4345,

Sounds like you may have both Nvidia and Intel integrated graphics, Nvidia I believe is supposed to run intensive programs,and Intel less intensive programs. I have no experience with this type of laptop but I would definately upgrade to the latest Nvidia driver for starters if you have not already, this hopefuly may be all you need to do. Uf still a problem, then check in the Nvidia control panel to see if there are any associated setting you can be dedicated the card to. I would also look in the game settings to see if there is a setting in there to choose the graphics card to use. Check to see if there is an option after you RIGHT mouse click the games exe to choose which graphics card to use.

Good Luck,
jodav.

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Two GPUs? In a laptop? Okay... Gonna check that.

UPDATE: Currently downloading/installing latest Nvidia drivers for my GPU. We'll see what will happen...

Edited by alpha4345, 29 June 2011 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users