Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 vimpey

vimpey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:57 AM

I have just joined this group so sorry if this sort of question been asked before.

I am running XP sp3 and needed to upgrade to AVG 2011, had been running 8.5 with no problems but was time to renew. The installation looked fine no problems and even updated the first time after installation. Next morning for reboot it got to windows nearly loaded then all of a sudden a black screen and the system shut down.
I have since then tried everything.
I couldn't use the power button to start up until I had unplugged and tried again, then it worked. I could reboot to safe mode (which I am in now)but can't find any solution have used removal tool to take avg off I can not scan for virus etc as can not complete installation now as when gets to same point it goes to black screen and shuts down.
AVG will not help as they say as their software has been removed then it is nothing to do with them if it is still doing it. I feel there is some file missing or been corrupted by AVG installation and I can not find out what it is to repair or replace.
I had shut down so many times XP wanted to scandisks but of course it only got so far then shut down and in the end wouldn't even boot in safe mode. I then had to do a repair inplace from windows XP cd and got back the safe mode. In full mode it got the old problem of shutting down as windows was nearly loaded.
I was going to to use AVG rescue cd but it only got so far and then black screen and shut down. All I managed to do was Memtest86+ which had no problems.

I used speedingupmypc and had loads of problems fixed and did the restart only just at the very last of my settings being loaded it did it again went to black screen and shut down.
I was so hopeful too that all the software probs had been fixed. It has to be software doesn't it as it runs fine in safe mode? I sometimes got warnings before running the speed up pc that this file was missing from itunes help and from pc suite but they have been fixed or removed as no more messages.
Some things I don't use any more have shared files and uninstaller advises maybe they need to be left on for other programms.
So I still can't install AVG or any other as can't get fully booted on a restart.

I don't really want to do a windows reinstall and have to go about re-entering all my settings if I can get away with it. I have tried transfering all files I need on to other pc but when I check to see if will work the files c an't be found. I used a transfer cable but think will have to use something like pc-link.
Does anyone have any other ideas before I give in and do a total windows upgrade?

It is ACPI multiprocessor pc with Samsung Hdd SP0820N
display adapters SIS 661FX, Writemaster RW DVD player, SIS PCI ide controller, contects to broadband via wireless Belkin G usb router or SIS 900based PCI fast ethernet adapter.
Intel pentium 4 3.00Ghz CPU x 2,
Audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers Legacy video capture devices,Media control devices, Realtek AC'97 audio, Video codecs.
Runs Windows xp sp3
Use IE version 8
Downloaded full internet security2011 paid version from AVG website.

Have loads of event ids in the log. Some are event id 7026, 1000, 1001,
Been working ok all be it slowly up to AVG 2011 installation. Was probably in need of defrag etc to clean up and was having one or two can't find file during start-up on programmes that had been uninstalled like PC suite for Nokia phone I once had. I didn't look into this as was working fine and I didn't need that any more.

However all that has lead me to find out that my cpu temp is around 54 degrees just after it has shut down. I restart quickly and find out in Bios what it is. Someone on another forum has suggested that this is over heating and could be causing all these strange things to be happening. Is this too hot and what could be the cause of this? I have already cleaned the cpu fan by taking it off etc but I didn't remove the heatsink (is that what it's called?). I didn't have anything to reseat it with.

It is a pentium 4 and is still doing it after putting new hard drive on it and trying to install windows xp sp3 again and shut down just after we got to the "what region are you in?" screen. I went to move the mouse to configure and it shut down so I changed keyboard and mouse to wired ones and tried again but after a couple of minutes it shut down again.

I went through it all again and as soon as touched the mouse or keyboard again it shut down.

Suppose the vid card/chip is overheating how can I tell? I suppose I could put old hd back as it obviously has nothing to do with that, to find out. Is this just going to be a process of elimination to find out what causing the shut down? It feels quite hot at the back when I disconnect the power lead and not sure if always been like that or not. I watched the CPU temp going up in the Bios when looking for the advanced settings and it climbed from 51 to 53 in the space of a couple of mins. If it is the MB or the CPU would it be less expense, time and trouble just to get a new one? It is taking up so much of my time I am way behind with other work now.
Someone advised that I should put old hd back as it could be a corrupt install on the new hd that made it shut down. Wouldn't that be a bit of a co-incidence? I just want the ****** thing to work again and I have no ideas now.

Any advice please?
Sorry can't be more specific.
Any body got any ideas?
Someone help please, I've been doing this for days.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 June 2011 - 05:35 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users