Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia 6600 GT Fan stopped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

So after downgrading from 7900 (that one died completely) just a couple months ago, my new 6600's fan has stopped dead. I noticed my computer was quieter sometime recently (yesterday maybe?) and only noticed that the fan actually stopped after eve online had gotten extremely slow, which is quite unnatural. I checked the temp and it was a scorching 137 Celsius.

I took the card out and found no obvious signs of damage that would stop the fan, it was plugged in completely, the wire was fine, no broken parts. I noticed that if I twirled the fan, it was incredibly stiff unlike my old 7900 (not sure if the stiffness is different between cards.) I unscrewed the fan and took it out, still no signs of damage. Screwed it back in and put it back in my computer.

Is there anything I can do short of buying a replacement GPU/fan?

This is not a terribly necessary fix because I'm getting a new pc in a few weeks, but if my brother accidentally kills it and my dad rages, the rest of my summer will be hell.

EDIT: I noticed upon start up that the fan jolts about a quarter inch, then stops... I looked for blockages but still didn't find anything. Ideas?

Edited by sausage, 29 June 2011 - 04:07 AM.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

Sounds like you have covered the bases sausage. Sometimes you can see a very small pin hole when you peel the centre sticker off a fan, enabling you to put a SMALL drop of oil in just in case the bearing has seized. Other than that looks like replace the fan.

jodav.

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

You will need a new fan. Adding oil is a temporary fix that won't last longer than a few weeks. The original fan has seized since you said it is difficult to turn.

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

What kind of oil would you recommend?

edit: it only needs to last a few weeks

Edited by sausage, 29 June 2011 - 04:13 PM.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#5 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Too be honest, any type of lubriation oil sausage like WD40 or the like.

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Look at this topic to see which lubricants can be used.

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

So I tried finding a hole to lubricate the fan but there was either nothing, or it's next to impossible to see, it is definitely not in the center.

Also, (I'm not all that familiar with drivers so if I'm wrong ignore this) I installed new drivers for this card just a few days ago, would it be possible that the drivers are corrupt and prevent the fan from running?

Lastly, define "seized" I'm not sure what you mean by that.

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Lastly, define "seized" I'm not sure what you mean by that.

That means the fan is difficult to turn and won't spin at all by itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users