Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Cables

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 taxi.driver09

taxi.driver09

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

First of all, I'm entirely new to serial ata!
I have a dell dimensions 3100 series tower and I would like to put an extra hard drive in but the computer has a single sata connection. My question is do they make dual sata connections? The motherboard doesn't have a second connection for a sata to run dual cables.
Thank you,
taxi.driver09

Edited by taxi.driver09, 29 June 2011 - 03:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

Hi taxi.driver09

With SATA being a serial connection, each controler\cable supports one device unlike the older PATA where the controler\cable supported a master and a slave (hence two connections for each cable). You can however buy a PCI SATA card to pop in your computer pending you have a spare PCI slot. See here for example.

Hope that helps,
jodav.

#3 taxi.driver09

taxi.driver09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

Would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-SATA-SERIAL-1-Port-IDE-PCI-RAID-Controller-Card-A22-/300509931234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7c9a6e2#ht_4390wt_1198

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

I would think so taxi.driver09, although I would have two concerns, it does not list Vista in its support list, and that I am usualy a bit wary of ordering cheap from Hong Kong. You could always mail them to ask if Vista\Win 7 is supported should you require that support.

jodav.

#5 taxi.driver09

taxi.driver09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

it will not be from hong kong because i'll deal with a local shop. i just used that as a general idea.
running xp sp3. Thank you for the idea. still a little new to computers and still learning.

#6 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

In that case that is the type of device you are looking for taxi.driver09. And nothing like Bleeping Computer and the web to help us learn :) Good luck and maybe let us know how you get on.

jodav.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users