Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Turns Itself On Then Off, Now Won't Come On

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hey guys, got an old eMachines T1842 a few months ago and started upgrading almost everything on it. I replaced the 1.8GHz processor with a 2.3GHz one, bumped the RAM up from 128MB (haha) to 1.2GB, swapped the CD-ROM drive out for a CD burner and also added a DVD burner. Ran fine for a few months, however, last night I was converting an .AVI file to DVD format. It was going to take quite a while for the conversion to complete, so I just shut off the monitor and went to sleep. When I woke up I found that the computer was coming on for about 3 seconds and then shutting off for 3 more seconds before repeating the process over. To shut off the PC I had to switch off the power strip that everything is plugged into. Now it won't come on at all. I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed down my problem to one of the following: 1)My power supply finally died (the factory power supply is only 250w). 2) I need to change the heatsink paste. What do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users