Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find printer port for a USB printer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 soloviola7871

soloviola7871

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hi all,

I recently cleaned trojan.agent/gen-bancos out of my work computer; in order to do so, I brought my work computer home with me which means all of the external hardware cables were disconnected. Now, when connected, every device works except for the printer. Every time I try to add it (and I have tried unplugging it, and plugging it in and all that) it tries to install software for the printer, but it ends up not being able to. I get the message saying, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." The EPSON TM-T88IIIP USB printer worked just fine before I disconnected it, but it just will not re-connect with the computer now. When I go to Printers and Faxes, it lists the printer but claims that it's offline. What makes matters worse is that when I try to connect to it, I get a message saying "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help." When I right click the icon and select Properties, I get an error message saying "Printer properties cannot be displayed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help." Same thing happens when I try to remove it. What can I do? I really don't want to keep writing manual receipts for my customers! :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Is that a receipt printer?

I would uninstall it through add/remove programs. Then disconnect the USB cable from the device and reinstall it.
You might get the latest drivers from the Epson site as well.
Do not plug the USB cable in until prompted to do so.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hi,
Drivers for POS Printers are found at http://epsonexpert.com/
There is an ole/opos driver depending if your pos application is supporting it or you can use the advanced printer driver for general applications.

Edited by booterbotter , 30 June 2011 - 11:59 PM.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#4 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

I'm discovering that the problem I'm having is stemming from the inability to find the driver when I plug the receipt printer into the USB port. I tried on two different computers and the result is the same: no driver found. I tried downloading the latest drivers from epsonexpert.com but for some reason device manager says that no drivers are installed. I've gone through the setup a couple of times now and I just can't get this driver installed. Any suggestions?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Did you uninstall the old driver & disconnect the usb cable before installing the new?

Can you provide a link for the drivers you downloaded please.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes. I have tried uninstalling the old before installing the new ones. Here is the link to the downloads, though it might require a login. If it does, the username is <redacted> and the password is <redacted>.

Edit: User name and password redacted to preserve member security. ~ Animal

#7 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

I feel like I should also mention that the printer itself is an Epson TM-88IIIP Receipt Printer, but when I plug it into the computer it shows up as EPSON TM-P2.01...? It is also worth mentioning that it is connected to the computer via a Belkin F5U005 parallel-to-USB cable. It used to work just fine, but ever since disconnecting it and reconnecting it I can't get it to work and I have tried virtually everying! (Well, not everything; I'm sure there's a solution out there...)

Edited by soloviola7871, 02 July 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#8 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

I feel like I should also mention that the printer itself is an Epson TM-88IIIP Receipt Printer, but when I plug it into the computer it shows up as EPSON TM-P2.01...? It is also worth mentioning that it is connected to the computer via a Belkin F5U005 parallel-to-USB cable. It used to work just fine, but ever since disconnecting it and reconnecting it I can't get it to work and I have tried virtually everying! (Well, not everything; I'm sure there's a solution out there...)

That figures why your getting that message. Did you use the Epson advanced printer driver? If so, what version and what is your operating system?
At the back of your printer is a parallel port ( 25 pins/holes or does it look different? )
Also, do you remember what driver did you use back then before you got an infection?
Knowing Epson advanced printer drivers, its not 100% guarantee that it will support your current connection (parallel to usb converter).

Edited by booterbotter , 02 July 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#9 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Ya. OS is Windows XP Professional Edition, and the driver I downloaded from Epson is Advanced Printer Driver 4 and it installs just fine, but I'm thinking it's the route of communication between the printer and the computer that's causing the issue. The thing that confuses me is that it literally worked like a charm before it was disconnected. I'm wondering if it's the computer not recognizing the printer for the printer it is, meaning, it recognizes a TM-88IIIP printer as a TM-P2.01 printer. Could that be the case? I've tried using the Add Printer Wizard and I'm finding TM-88II and TM-88V printers...but I know for a fact that this printer is a TM-88IIIP. I'm also wondering if there is a driver that I used before that may be designed for a different model, but works with the printer I have? Or at least TM-P2.01...I've looked all over the web for a driver for the TM-P2.01 and everything points me back to the list of Epson Printers, on which there is no mention of a TM-P2.01. Any suggestions?

Edited by soloviola7871, 02 July 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#10 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Print a self test on your printer. It will provide you all the information you'll need. Post the results here so we can check it too.

To print a self test on your printer.
1. Disconnect the printer from the computer.
2. Turn the printer off.
3. Press and hold down the paper feed button while turning on the printer.

It is possible that the driver is detecting it as a parallel printer and not really a usb.

#11 soloviola7871

soloviola7871
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Here is the information:

Firmware Version 7.00 ESC/POS

Parallel Interface or other

Buffer Capacity
4K bytes

Handshaking Operation (busy condition)
Off line or receive buffer full

Resident Character
Alphanumeric

Automatic Line Feed
(CR command function)
Disabled

Print Density
LIGHT [ 1 2 3 ] DARK
(arrow pointing to "2")

If you want to contiune SELF-TEST printing, press FEED button.

What do you think?

#12 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

Parallel Interface or other

As I mentioned, the Epson Advanced printer driver requires you to have a direct connection and converters are not 100% guarantee that they will work. Although it worked before, if you used a different driver or a generic driver for the receipt printer, that will be the reason why you get the error.
I suggest you contact the System Devices team of Epson to have them check your issue.
(562) 276-1314, Menu option 1, Technical Support.

edit:
Just to add,
tm-t88III and tm-p2.01 are different models, if you check the manuals found in the epsonexpert website, you will see what exactly your printer is.

Edited by booterbotter , 03 July 2011 - 06:05 AM.

#13 JaestesCOS

JaestesCOS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I had the exact same problem. I ultimately followed the advice of the last post and called Epson support. They told me that I needed to replace the interface card with a USB Interface card. They gave me the number and website of one of their resellers and a part number to look for.

Reseller: BeagleHardware.com
Phone Number: 1-800-253-6407
Part#: C32C824131

Thank you for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users