Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking To Upgrade My Pc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Im looking to upgrade my pc. Currently, the one i have is a little over 4 years old.

Im running a 1.7gHz Intel Pentium 4 processor,

A Radeon 9600 128Mb AGP

and 768Mb of RAM

I know the processor would be the biggest jump in improvement, so which one should I go with? or would it just be cheaper to buy a new PC?

I have a cap of 3 gigs of RAM, and though i wish i had the money to upgrade that much, i just dont. The only thing im really worried about is my processor. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

What type of computing to you do? Internet only, gaming, graphics, alittle of everything?
You could start with a new motherboard processor upgrade and keep everything else. Then as money premitts upgrade the rest. How much of a processor jump do you want?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

I do a little of everything. A lot of multi tasking.. well, most computers these days come with AT LEAST a 2.0Ghz, im sure you know that though.. So something probably along the lines of 2.5 or so? Where can i get one for a very good deal?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

I run a Celeron 1.4ghz PC100 768 RAM and am very content. I have been looking at a Dell refurbished on the Dell website for about $600. I would still be using a P-III 500mhz if I didn't want to play with an upgrade chip I found, but that is another topic.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...oc=DB110A&s=dhs

#5 GaminNeo

GaminNeo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

How come when i go to the Dell Website for Canada (www.dell.ca) The computers they have are very limited and basically suck. The Desktops are better on Dell.com and even cheaper! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

Just the messenger.. :thumbsup:

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Interesting, thank you for the reply acklan.. I've worked on so many computers for people.. Opend the cases and cleaned them out, i've seen so many good processors in there.. one rig i worked on had 3 gigs of ram, 3.2 processor and a 512 mb card.. It was beautiful. thanks for the help guys.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

You are welcome. I hope you have what you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users