Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reallocated sector count

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

I'm using XP home SP3 on a Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB, WDC WD6401AALS-00J7B0

So I just bought this new HD because my last one had reallocated sectors and I was advised to replace it ASAP. I've had this one less than a month and I'm having the same problem. I was un-packing an ISO file with Winrar, my computer got really slow, froze up and then crashed with a blue screen. When it restated, the initial screen with options to look at boot order or setup started. Normally it goes away after a few seconds and Windows starts but it just stayed there. When I tried to look at boot order or setup it would say Loading at the bottom but never do anything. Finally i tried a hard shut down instead of hard restart. When I turned it back on it loaded normally but the BIOS message said the HD was failing. XP loaded, I checked SMART with Western Digitals tool, and now here I am.

The Raw value is 41 and the threshold is 140. Does the drive fail completely once it reaches 140? What can cause this to happen? It seems like it must be something I'm doing for it to happen so soon after buying it.

If the Raw value doesn't get worse over time is it safe to assume this was caused by a one time event?

last question, I read somewhere that you can cordon of bad sectors so that it won't slow down your computer. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

EDIT: Just thought I should mention it's completely possible that there were bad sectors before today and I just didn't know. I hadn't turned off my computer in a while so I wouldn't have seen the BIOS message until today (day of posting)

EDIT 2: I used Western Digitals tool to check the SMART status of the drive but it also lets you run a quick scan and an extended scan. I just finished the extended scan of all sectors and it reported no problems which was confusing.

Edited by frank11111, 28 June 2011 - 10:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

I don't know the source of these numbers that you throwing around...did you run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive?

Bad sectors can be an indicator of drive problems...but further analysis is needed.

Louis

#3 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

Every SMART scan I've ever seen shows a list of areas it tests such as the reallocated sector count. Then there are columns titled Raw, Threshold, etc (like i said in the post). In this case at least, raw indicates the amount of bad sectors (41). I don't understand what threshold means though. I figured it means if i have more bad sectors than 140 I'm screwed.

like I said in the post I used Western Digitals scanner (WinDlg).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users