Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Connection and Possible Solution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

I am terribly sorry about my other post on this problem.
That post is rather old and since that time .. "I believe" that I have found out what was/is causing my dropped connections.

I have a Westell 6100 modem and a Netgear WGT624V3 router.

It seems that the Westell 'and' the Netgear are "both" routers and modems?
The Westell from what I have read "Must" be put into bridge mode when you are using any router or you get conflicting NATs?

Seems that one of the devices 'knocks' the other off the connection setting.

Here is what I haven't been able to find out though and thought that one of you networking pros could help?

Aside from being Really scared to mess around with something that I've never done (bridging a modem) I am not sure if I will have to mess around with the Netgear router too? (I hope not)

Once I figure out and assuming that I am successful in bridging the Westell .. Is there anything that Must be changed on the Netgear?

My setup is: Windows seven 64BIT, connected to the Westell and connected to the Netgear router.

Windows Vista 64BIT with a Netgear WG111V2 usb dongle.

I lose the connection on the dongle but not on the pc with the devices?

Thanks Everyone

Edited by MrClose, 28 June 2011 - 04:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Dropping the Westell into bridge mode is a common function. Your ISP helpdesk should be able to walk you through it in minutes. The Netgear should just work for most networks as long as it still has DHCP Client selected on the WAN connection. The ISP helpdesk can tell you if your configuration is different (in some cases you need to use PPPoE which needs a little different setup with a user name and password). Fear not, your helpdesk probably walks through this process 10 or 20 times a day and they should be in good practice at running a remote set of hands and eyes. Just be sure to tell them what you see every step of the way, and confirm any instructions you are not completely sure of. There are at least two places on a Westell that you can set it to bridge mode. Only one (under maintenance) will do so without problems under most conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users