Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with vista

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 builttoburn

builttoburn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

hello! i am new to these forums and not exactly good with computers. i have a friend that usually helps me but he moved and instructed me to use hijackthis and create a logfile to post here for possible help. i'm not really sure what is relevant information or not other than what i was told to post so please forgive if this is a confusing request :/ please help!

Mod Edit: Removed HJT log, since it is a malware tool that is not used/allowed in this forum, it is not to be used for attempts at diagnosing computer system problems that have nothing to do with malware ~ Hamluis.

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 June 2011 - 01:41 PM.
Removed log By Hamluis. Moved topic to Am I Infected forum. By Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

You need to state the problem(s) you are having with the system.

#3 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

let's see if i can get all of this down then. i got a virus, vista security/win32 trojan. it shut down everything. as per instructions i was given i downloaded avast and it failed. so i uninstall and download malwarebytes and it seems to clean up the computer, everything works fine again. upon opening winamp to play music everything crashes down again, no internet, vista security pop ups, etc. this time malwarebytes returns nothing in quarantine, says computer is fine, but nothing is working still. i do a system restore but the earliest it will go back is still after i have gotten the virus and does no good.
at that point i am advised to get hijackthis and post my logfile here, which i did, and that went well. it went so well i tried out rootkitbuster, RUBotted and also wrote out by hand and followed several troubleshooting advices, also to no avail. every program and help i try at this point tells me my computer is fine, when it isnt, except for the rootkit: it pulls up one hidden file and no matter how many times i quarantine/delete and reboot it is still there when i start back up. i know it starts with like HKEY_(something)
i think it is worth note although probably should be obvious that i am doing this all from someone elses computer, without a printer, and am having to literally run back and forth from here to my computer. also, when the internet/networking tab is pulled up on my computer it shows that i am connected and all, even though i cant use it.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Install a free firewall.
http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html
Try a chkdsk.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html
Run ccleaner.
http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

#5 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

im doing all of this from an apple desktop and transferring help to my computer in another place by instructions written out/copied by hand or on a 4gig flashdrive. in other words, downloading .exe files to someone else's computer (which will only end up saving themselves as .txt files, already had this problem) isnt much of an option and your advice isnt advice, its just a plug for some downloadables. i am not that computer literate and not on my computer, i said that, please be helpful or do not respond.

#6 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

so again, problems as listed before are same, i cannot get on internet from my computer. i am having to troubleshoot from a borrowed apple desktop that i CANNOT download onto that also does not have a computer. is there anyone that can actually talk to me instead of deleting and moving and linking things? the more i try to get help from different boards the more i see people are not willing to actually help, they just want to give a link and be done with it when THAT ISNT A SOLUTION TO THIS! :(

#7 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Can you get in to Safe Mode with Networking?, if you can you should be able to download any appropriate tools.

To get into the Windows Vista and Windows 7 Safe Mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode With Networking" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

It would also be helpful for advisors if you could post the log that you got from Malwarebytes.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#8 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

THANK YOU!!!! even if doesnt work just for talking in english x_x

i can get into safemode with networking but internet wouldnt work in that mode last i tried. i will try again after this post.

i started this thread with log file posts from malwarebytes or hijackthis, cant remember, i have posted so much this week looking for help. but i do know that my log posted here in the beginning like my friend told me to do was immediately removed and i dont exactly get why.

#9 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

also, even if i get onto the internet on my computer in safe networking mode i still dont know what to do with it. every tool (and there have been like 8 at this point) that has been reccomended and downloaded has been a failure! and i am sick of getting some ass putting links without saying anything like above, i am done downloading crap.

#10 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hi, if you can connect, update and rerun Malwarebytes. It would also be a good idea to download and run Superantispyware.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

If you can't connect, it would be helpful if you can get to a computer that can and download tools to a flashdrive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-malware-tutorial

Edited by mrfingerz, 01 July 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#11 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

no, i cant, its a win32trojan, windows vista, please read the original post and respond if you know how to fix, thank you.

#12 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

It's probable that the malware has turned on a Proxy setting, which will disable your ability to connect.

Follow these instructions to fix this problem:

From your Control Panel open up the Internet Options. Go to the Connections tab, and click LAN settings. Uncheck the first proxy server setting, and then click the OK button to close the screen. Then press the OK button to close the Internet Options screen.

By the way were you running an antivirus prior to infection? I note that you said you downloaded and uninstalled Avast which is a perfectly good free AV. (prevention being better than cure).

#13 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

i will try that now, hopefully this will work as it is one advice i have not heard yet. thank you again.

before virus i had pc doctor and avira. after first infection i did malware and avast which worked for a few days and then reinfected/popped back up and wouldnt go away second time.

#14 builttoburn

builttoburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

nope, doesnt connect in safe mode still.

#15 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

Looks like you'll have to download tools from another computer. Hopefully then one of the malware removal people on here will then be able to assist you.

Your HijackThis log would have been removed as logs from that aren't allowed in this particular forum. Any log you have from Malwarebytes would be helpful, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users