Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New website - any assistance with SEO greatly appreciated

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hi All,

I am hoping I can get some general advice on this situation, as though I fiddle with PCs, I have only just emarked on creating a site for a new business venture.

Firstly, I created a free site which is hosted by Weebley.

Secondly, I registered the .co.uk and .com and have used Weebley's internal transfer request in order to point to the new domains.

What I want to do is keep costs to a minimum but achieve as large SEO as poss. From what I've read it seems like an uphill battle due to lack of 301 redirection, though the posts referring to this are all over a year old - I'm not sure if Weebley now has this functionality.

It seems there may be some way of adding some HTML script to patch this, though I'm in the dark and would ask if anyone can give their thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

SEO is never easy to start, if your doing it yourself. The key is to use the keywords you listed in weebly, on your page as much as possible. Also, backlinks are the easiest way for seach engines to find your site. The more times your site is linked to from other pages, the easier it is to find.

Backlinks are like a reccuring event online, instead of 1 random event. Its easier to spot it the second or third time around...do you understand what im saying?

Keywords do the same thing, combined with backlinks, they help your website get to the first page in a search, rather then farther back.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hi s1lents0ul, thanks for the speedy response.

I had to have a google and read around what you've said, as I'm so noob to this I wasn't aware of the existance of backlinks. So, would I have to contact owners of similar websites (therefore more relevant) to link to my site? From what I've just read, it seems reciprocal linking isn't as effective as perhaps it was - have I got this right?

It seems there are various tools that can help track and suggest sites that could potentially be relevant - do you know of anything that you'd recommend?

I need to continue to investigate as I've got Weebly fields for Meta Keywords, Site Description, Footer Code and Header Code, and truth be told, I'm having to wing it at the moment.

Thanks again and hoping you can shed any light on the above.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

The more times your site is linked to from other pages, the easier it is to find.

Unless it is linked to from sites whose content has nothing to do with your own; then it ends up hurting your ranking. Good computer-help related forums are going to have links to other good computer-help related forums. It makes little sense for a site like this to link to, oh I don't know, car buying websites since the content is not even related. Search engine algorithms are more sophisticated than that. By the same token, if all of a sudden there are a hundred new links to your website, that is not going to garner favorable results.

If you want to achieve a good search engine ranking, have good content. It is as simple as that. If you are marketing a particular product, then frequent similar sites that are related to your product. Occasionally refer to your site if it is relevant to the subject.

#5 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

Thanks Hail, I'm getting a grasp on this now. I'm assuming that Google's algorithm will crawl all pages on the site, and not just the homepage?

And as far as backlinking, is a mention of the website name enough, or does it need to be (as the name would suggest) a hyperlink taking the user directly to the site?

Jon

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Googles crawler, or spider algorithm with reach as far a 3 pages deep, searching a keyword. Example to clarify --> Home page has link on it to a topics, topics page has link to more detailes of topic so the three pages deep is home>topics>details.

Easier to picture this concept is think of a book. 3 pages deep would be the first 3 pages in a chapter, not 3 chapter titles. as you know your home page will have multiple links on it, like an index for a books chapters.

You can definately find SEO ideas and concepts by googling it and searching the web for ways to one up the system. Google has a keyword optimizer, it should show you how many people searched for that keyword in the month...so you can have an idea of the amount of traffic a phraze will get. This helps you pick the best keywords, helping you make them as targeted as possible without being so specific that you will limit your traffic from searchs in search engines from people.

The link to that service from google is HERE

its called google adwords
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Thanks again s1, I've been on the case and went through the adwords yesterday and ran various searches in order to start ranking those most popular. It's a steep learning curve but I'm making progress, albeit slowly!

Fact is I've never done any of this before and thanks to the ease of Weebly, I managed to chuck together a site overnight.

Problem I now have (additionally), is getting my newly purchased domain names to point to the Weebly site. I reg'd the names with UK2, and now it seems I need to fork out more cash to enable me to edit the DNS and change the A-record - which other registars appear to offer free.

As a bloke who researches his *rse off, I'd be disappointed to know someone's got one up on me!

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

You are aware Weebly offers you your own Domain name through them? You can purchase a dot com, org, or net through them.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

I jumped the gun and delved in too quickly. I should've gone down that route, though was more blinded by the fact that I needed to secure the .co.uk and found a bundle for .co.uk and .com. In hindsight, I should've gone through Weebly and avoided all the grief.

If you get a sec, take a look at the site and hopefully I'll get a better understanding if you can give an example specically related to it.

Sorry to be a PITA and your help's obv appreciated.

drainrelief.weebly.com/index.html

#10 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Not the most exciting subject matter, granted ;)

I'm the brains, not the brawn, supposedly ...

#11 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Forked out the 17 quid to get DNS edit and now drain-relief.co.uk

Very much a work in prog.

Any comments welcome - it's ok, I'm thick-skinned ...

#12 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

The home page is dull. I think this because the background and text are too similiar in color...no contrast. Your points dont stick out, so the points that are selling your idea arent being captured by the onlooker as easily as they should be. The background is absorbing the text in all your pages. The pictures are great, though.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#13 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:32 AM

The site is very good and to the point. I dont want to give you the wrong impression. I am just hitting the negative points in the above post.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#14 jon@chorleywood

jon@chorleywood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

Cheers S1, and don't worry, no offence taken - to the contrary, I'm pleased you've taken the time to look and give your feedback. I guess I was going for something easy on the eye that's subtle, as opposed to your typical "I'll come smash your house up and rip you off in the process" style that some competitors have gone for.

I've just had a quick tinker and changed fonts to blue but not entirely convinced with that. Will have to spend some time to see what works.

Happy you liked the snaps - shame I didn't take them myself ...

#15 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

I understand where you are coming from, I usually follow the same pattern. My websites are never to sell anything though. From a marketing point of view, online business websites should be full of content, contact information, and an ability to capture your attention, then hold it, for longer then 5 seconds. Or they will click on to the next site, since it is that easy.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users