Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Teochter

Teochter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hi all
I have a major problem with my Windows XPPro operating system, and I would really, really, appreciate some help with it! Firstly, my computer started acting strangely; so, I purchased the AVG anti-virus system, only to discover that, having bought it, my computer would not allow me to install it!

I then discovered that the computer would not allow me to install anything at all, even microsoft's own "Security Essentials": so, I contacted Microsoft customer support and told them what the problem was. One of their "experts" sent me a list of "steps to take", one of which was to delete all anti virus programs from my computer! I did this then realised that I now had a computer without any anti virus protection, that would not allow me to install one!

It then became clear that the problem was my XP Pro operating system "installer" was buggered, not to put too fine a point on it! This suggested to me that I should upgrade to Windows 7; so, I invested in a new Windows 7 O S. Now I need to know how I can upgrade from XP Pro to Windows 7, without losing any of the existing data on my computer. Can anyone tell me, in idiot proof steps, how I can achieve this please?

Best
Teochter

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2011 - 03:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

So you were running without an active av? You need to post in the Am I Infected forum.

#3 Teochter

Teochter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

No I wasn't running without an active AV, please re-read my post ! I ran a daily scheduled scan with Microsoft Security Essentials; however, my machine started acting erratically. That was when I purchased, and downloaded, the AVG PCTuneUp 2011, and it was at that point that discovered that my computer would not allow me to install it: so, it was at that time I contacted MS support.

As one of the diagnostic steps, their support representative told me to delete all existing AV programs from my computer; and, as I said in my post, after I had followed this advice, I then discovered that I could not install anything at all on my computer. It was then that I suspected that it was the XP Pro Windows installer that was the problem, so I bought an upgrade to Windows 7. If you re-read my post, you will see that I have not mentioned anything about my computer being infected. The problem I asked for help with, ( in the last para )is how do I upgrade from my exiting XP Pro operating system to the Windows 7 Operating system, without losing any of the data that I have built up, for years,on my computer?

Tegards
Teochter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users