Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I copy/transfer Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to a sick pc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BullDad

BullDad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

First off...I really am a computer dummy...
That said, please use small words and speak slowly, lol...

I have an old pc, at least that is what i have been told. It is an HP compaq with a decent drive and the drive from my old pc piggy backed for data access. Hope i described that right. I got myself a virus or something after getting Zone Alarm (not impressed). It will start in safe mode and has the text written in the corners along with the operating program displayed at the top.
I have windows xp professional SP3.
The rest of the screen is black.
I had one of those "fake" virus services appear on the laptop i am now on and found the Malware Anti-malware site. It fixed me right up.

LET ME SAY THAT I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THERE ARE SMART PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT ARE NOT EVIL ! ! ! !

That said, is it possible to copy that awesome program onto a flash drive or something and use it to fix my PC?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
If what don't kill ya will make you stronger...I should be bullet proof by now ! ! !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brandobot

brandobot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

A flash drive is a good choice, but since some viruses infect flash drives you may just want to burn the installer to a cd and then install it. If the computer has working internet, you can just download it from http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1
-Brandon

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware database definitions file (mbam-rules.exe) is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current definitions if you're having problems updating through the program's interface or have already manually downloaded the latest definitions, is to do the following:

Install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program and update through MBAM's interface. Copy this definitions file (rules.ref) to CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system AFTER installing MBAM. If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.
  • XP,Windows 2000, 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • Vista, Windows 7, 2008: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users